EndNote 20: Bring back Summary in Output Style

I am flummoxed that perfectly useful features have been elimintated in EndNote 20. I may go backwards to X9.

Why did you eliminate the summary tab that showed the reference in the selected output style? The summary now is just title, author(s) and publisher/date. I want to be able to see, easily, whether the output style comes through correctly. I don;t want to have to print a bibliography to see it.

3 Likes

Well, I’ll be damned! I looked everywhere for a written explanation of the layout and then, lo and behold, when I watched a video (that’s not where I would go first) there’s an arrow at the bottom of the window that pops the output view up. I am word oriented and would love to find a good manual. I assume there will be an EndNote 20 “Missing Manual” publication soon.

And the “intuitive” features aren’t always intuitive.

When I changed the output style in the summary section, I could instantly see the shape of that style in X9. Whatever I choose below, the preview does not change in this section. You will click “Copy Citation” to see the right style. You will paste it into another text editor. You will see if it gets better. Wow perfect bull***edit***.

When I changed the output style in the summary section, I could instantly see the shape of that style in X9. Whatever I choose below, the preview does not change in this section. You will click “Copy Citation” to see the right style. You will paste it into another text editor. You will see if it gets better. Wow perfect bull***edit***.

P.S.: Also, what is wrong with uploading a file with png extension here?

When I changed the output style in the summary section, I could instantly see the shape of that style in X9. Whatever I choose below, the preview does not change in this section. You definitely can’t see your chosen style instantly as a preview. You will click “Copy Citation” to see the right style. You will paste it into another text editor. You will see if it gets better. Wow perfect absurdity.

You can see the preview button at right bottom.

And yet it does not always update properly, even when edits are saved.  

I strongly agree❗️

Completely agree‼️