EndNote for iPad

Yes, the “PDF standard annotation” capabilities are something we are currently testing internally for the 1.1 update to EndNote for iPad. We are not planning to do any external beta testing but our internal testing is going very well. Timing is always approximate [especially when Apple and their App Store submission process is involved] but here is what we are currently working on for EndNote for iPad:

• 1.0.4 update - this includes a few bug fixes and should be sumbitted to Apple any day now

• 1.1 update - this includes substantial updates to the PDF functionality as well as many other fixes and improvements - hope to have this out in a month or so

• 1.1.x update - this will include optimizations for iOS 7 - not sure on release of this but we are starting to work on this now.

All of these will be free updates to anyone who has bought the app.

Jason Rollins, the EndNote team

Thanks Jason - I can’t tell you how nice it is to have a road map for these things to plan around.  Communication with TR around its applications was never a strong point – you may be changing my opinion!

Looking forward to the PDF annotations.  Glad the sync functionality has been so stable on this.

Hi, endnote for ipad is a nice app but missing some functions which are needed as a useful tool for making citation.

First, there is no implementation of searching library function. In this case the citation you found through the build in web browser is incompletely in terms of citation content. It is really INCONVENIENT to go everytime to the endnote online and do the same searching step to add the proper citation into the desired group.

Second, the annotation function needs to improve. For example, the thickness of the hand writing and highlighting, as well as the sticky note function. EazyPDF is doing great in the annotation function.

Hopefully the new update could give us a better user experience.

I am not able to download endnote on my iPad 3. Anyone else have this problem? How were you able to fix this?

I just saw your apologetic note about annotations on the front page of the web browser, and it occurred to me that an easy work around might be for you folk to license/buy the annotation features of the ‘Goodreader’ iPAD app.  It does everything you need, and there’s lots of code you won’t have to write.

Hi Jason,

Just wondering if we can get an update on the timing of the 1.1 release – looking forward to moving my annotations to Endnote for iPad and having them sync back.  Any timing updates would be appreciated!

Take care,

John

We are currently finishing up the beta testing for the EndNote for iPad app 1.1 release. As we have mentioned, the 1.1 update will add substantial improvements to the PDF annotations and will be free to anyone who has purchased the EndNote app.

We hope to submit this to Apple in the next week or so. Presuming Apple gives us a swift approval, the app update should be ready soon after that. 

Should we assume that this did not go well?  Its been quite a bit since you mentioned this might be coming out.

Thanks for any updates.

JAW

I am very eager to see the developments on the pdf annotation and - syncing. Thanks for all your hard work! Any news?

A third party app would be just as welcome as an internal development, although I guess som people will complain about having to buy Goodreader f.ex. (worth every penny though). 

I have to assume you are aware of reports that the latest update leaves the app frozen while it begins to index the library (stuck at 0%)- there are reviews stating this at the app store, and it is my experience, too.  I have found this app extremely frustrating to use (I don’t care at all about pdf annotations, I just want the pdfs I sync to stay put once I go through the trouble of downloading them, instead of disappearing), and now after this update it is completely useless! 

I probably speak for many that are also committed to Endnote from our desktop/laptop experience and time investment, but now we are stuck with a very buggy app.  Please help!

I have to assume you are aware of reports that the latest update leaves the app frozen while it begins to index the library (stuck at 0%)- there are reviews stating this at the app store, and it is my experience, too.  I have found this app extremely frustrating to use (I don’t care at all about pdf annotations, I just want the pdfs I sync to stay put once I go through the trouble of downloading them, instead of disappearing), and now after this update it is completely useless! 

I probably speak for many that are also committed to Endnote from our desktop/laptop experience and time investment, but now we are stuck with a very buggy app.  Please help!

UPDATE: after ten minutes or so, the indexing apparently finished (though I don’t think the status bar actually ever moved).  Things seem to be working, though I still have pdf attachments which inexplicably have vanished.  This is a MAJOR problem.

We think we have a fix for the PDF indexing issue and are beta testing it now. We plan to include this fix in the upcoming 1.2 version of EndNote for iPad. We will get this submitted to Apple as quickly as we can but realistically this will take a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the input.

The paragraph quoted below was taken from a previous post referring to the ipad version only displaying “subgroups” on the left of the screen under the “my groups” title while the desktop version has major group headings with “subgroups” organized within these major groups (much better for organization).  Any chance, as the statement below mentions, that matching the organizational heirarchical model on the ipad with that on the desktop is something currently being worked on?  I think this would help the app dramatically.

Thanks,

Kevin

“-- I noticed a problem difference between how the paper groupings are stored between the desktop and the ipad versions. On the desktop, I arranged my papers into major “groups” and then subordinate “subgroups” within those major groups. When I ported this all over to the ipad, only the “subgroups” are used - this means all the subgroups within my major groupings are shuffled. It would be better to just have the same grouping structure between the ipad and the desktop versions.”

How can I sync the annotations I made on a pdf file  within Endnote for Ipad to my desktop? The annotations do not appear in Endnote Web and therefore not on my desktop. The references and attachments sync without problems.

Edit: The annotations do appear on Endnote Web.

I mostly write my papers on Pages on my iPad. It would be great to be able to cite my references and paste them into Pages similar to Pages on OS X and produce a bibliography from the application, now I have the work-a-round to open EndNote web page to create the bibliography before submitting my papers.

It would be so handy if I could use my Apple Pencil to highlight text right in the app on my iPad Pro instead of having to open another app to read it. Could this be implemented?

Good idea. I would like to see linking to Apple iCloud. Thanks

Does anyone know if EndNote for iPadPro has working  Cite While?

I do not think that they care if we have that functionality as they have a monopoly lock-in with all the schools that pay for EndNote on our behalf.