Endnote 2 is Missing Important Functionality

I just switched from Endnote X8 to 20.  I really liked the appearance of Endnote 8 – i.e., with a preview panel at the bottom and compressed text.  In this version 20, there is too much space between references and no way to see a preview without opening the reference.  This is really clunky and unnecessarily time consuming.  Normally, programs allow one to change view/ settings.  Without this functionality, it is really difficult to use the program on a small laptop screen. However, there is no way to do that in Endnote 20. When I checked with Tech Support, they confirmed that:

1. This was not possible and
  2. They have gotten a lot of similar complaints from other scientists.

In addition, in Endnote 8 I could conduct a search and it would be saved automatically.  Then, I could either add to the search or conduct a search in those saved references. This was extraordinarily useful and convenient as I was writing a book on diet, inflammation, and health – and I have used it extensively when writing major grant applications as well. Indeed, when I am working at full throttle, I use this function at least 3 or 4 times a day. There is no way to do this in Endnote 20.

Don’t the developers actually try to use these things? Okay, I understand that they are not scientists. In this case, they could simply have copied what they did in Endnote X8. Of course, why not have serious scientists, such as myself, actually tested the program you? I would have been happy to do so, as Endnote is a really important tool in my life – and I would like expanded functionality rather than constrictions.

I do not have the foggiest idea why the developers of Endnote 20 just decided to expunge superb functionality evident in both Endnote X8 and Endnote X9. However, I will say that, at this juncture, I really regret having purchased Endnote 20 and I will most certainly revert to Endnote X8 or, perhaps, upgrade to Endnote X9, if that proves to be feasible.

James R. Hébert, MSPH, ScD

Health Sciences Distinguished Professor

Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics

Arnold School of Public Health, University of South Carolina

Director, Statewide Cancer Prevention & Control Program