Endnote 20 Bring Back Case Change

A lot of journal references capitalize all letters for authors and titles. EN9 had a feature to change case to sentence case, capitalize each word, all caps, etc. Cut down on a lot of manual changes.

5 Likes

Its a bad sign when updates start losing functions.Ā  The sentence case was a very useful function.

5 Likes

Concur! Please add this capability to EN20.

Sentence case is a critical feature for handling references in APA format.Ā 

3 Likes

I strongly agree with these posts. I am in the midst of writing a book with a very large number of references. The omission of the option to quickly change the case of notably publication titles is a desaster. It doesnā€™t help to change things in the Output style since that will change everything. E.g. when the output is Sentence case names of people, spcies or whatever will also be in small caps. BRING IT BACK!

2 Likes

I strongly agree that this is a disastrous omission from EndNote 20. One cannot remedy this by tingering with the styles, because when one choses ā€˜Sentence caseā€™, for example, all Capitalised words in the title of a publication will be changed to lower case. Working on a book with several 1000ends of references this is a major problem. so yes, BRING IT BACK!!

2 Likes

Hi,

Do you mean the fuction named ā€œChang/Move/Copy Fieldsā€?

The path in EndNote 20 is:Ā EndNote 20> Library> Chang/Move/Copy Fields

Iā€™m not sure if this helps, but in macOS you can cycle through those capitalization styles with the keyboard shortcut ā€œcontrol + command + c.ā€ Sorry if thatā€™s not what you mean.

1 Like

I agree - absolutely essential!

I agree - this is absolutely essential given the wide and varied ways in which references export from different databases. I cannot understand this omission

1 Like

I agree! This change made EndNote 20 worse, not better!

1 Like

Couldnā€™t agree more. Thereā€™s space for the button; bring it back and let users decide whether or not to use it, rather than imposing the inability to use it on them.

Disaster! Please bring back the case change capabiity.

Iā€™m very disappointed that the case change problem wasnā€™t fixed in the lastest EndNote update.Ā  Itā€™s a time-wasting hassle to fix capitalized article titles in the current version. If the case change options were restored, it would be easy to fix them.

2 Likes

I agree. Plus, please remove the extra space in the References view. I went back to Endnote 9 because I prefer endnote 9. However, I lost functionality with Word and rather than try to figure out how to get the functionallity back, I reloaded 20. Itā€™s an UGLY interface! And there doesnā€™t seem to be a way of changing that.

2 Likes

Yes - bring it back. My students loved this feature as our style uses sentence case for most titles and changing it in the style itself causes too many issues with proper nouns or other deliberate capitalisation. The style sorts out the italics/underline etc so that isnā€™t needed in the Edit pane - but the change case is!!!

1 Like

The separate button has been removed from version 20, but the keyboard shortcut still works. Select the desired text, press Shift-F3 and see how all the options are sequentially switched - all uppercase letters, all lowercase letters, the first letter of the first word is capitalized, the first letters of all words are capitalized.

1 Like

The separate button has been removed from Endnote version 20, but the keyboard shortcut still works. Select the desired text, press Shift-F3 and see how all the options are sequentially switched - all uppercase letters, all lowercase letters, the first letter of the first word is capitalized, the first letters of all words are capitalized.

yes please, this is crucial - one of the several unfortunate retrograde issues in EN20 which had me regretting the upgrade, and one of the many reasons why I recommend to colleagues not to upgrade until the next EN20 release demonstrates a functional improvement.Ā 

Donā€™t understand why case function was dropped from manually editing an open reference. Very useful function for many different reasons. Having to go in to change the whole style is awkward and time-consuming.