Endnote 20 - Enable preview pdf

Its a money-sucking corporation…

2 Likes

@juanmanuelhm we should all switch to something open-source. I heard elsewhere that if your upgrade was a mistake, you can get a downgrade back to X19. Maybe even a refund if you already have X19 and not dependent on their cloud data service.

RPP 

Endnote since 1998

1 Like

This is ridiculous and awful! Do you even know how people use your product and to which tools they rely to?!? Who decided to make all these changes? 

Just ask the REAL people who REALLY use EndNote for work, IF they wish any change of their work routine before you just mess everything up!

3 Likes

I did downgrade to X9 - would love to see 20 have that capability, but until then, X9 it is (even though I paide for the upgrade and now am not even using it). 

The absence of a pdf (full text) preview is KILLING ME. Many of my direct-import citations are missing an abstract, so all I know about an article is the author, title, and source. WHat good is THAT!?!?!? I might as well use folders in my documents to store and categorize citations, at least Finder (macOS) has previews.

3 Likes

This is a basic feature of almost any reference manager. I cannot believe they have removed it from Endnote 20. I had to revert to X9.

Generally, I did not find any new features in 20, but instead a huge loss in functionality.

3 Likes

Hello, everyone! 

In the months since EndNote 20 was released, we’ve been listening very closely to the feedback given here, to our support staff, and on social media. While the majority of responses to our new design have been positive, we knew going in that the large changes we were making would not all be 100% perfect right out of the gate. I want to thank you each of you for taking the time to report your frustrations – we are listening and discussing how best to address them. 

Probably the most common request is to restore the ability to preview the PDF in the record window. I’m happy to say that we have discussed this and agree that it’s functionality we need to restore. We’re still in the early stages of designing how that would work, and then we still need to build and test it, so it’s going to be some time before it’ll hit your EndNote 20 desktops – but I wanted to give you the early news so you would know we’re listening and adjusting. I will be sure to post here when we have more news. 

We will likely be addressing other feedback too, so please do keep it coming. And there will be some cool new features as well, so stay tuned!

It isn’t the only thing missing Gill!  But maybe I can retire before I need to move from X9!  

3 Likes

With X9, the underlying database engine was upgraded to something more robust and faster, but I agree with you, improvements to the code are much needed. I suspect the code base is something like 20 years old.

In my opinion, EndNote 20 was a way to clean the code base, but they either did not have time to implement all the functions because of upper management pushing for an early release date OR they really took the easy way out approach to improving the speed and fluidity by removing features. Let’s hope it is the former rather than the later and that those missing features will be quickly reintroduced.

2 Likes

@embalinap wrote:

Ditto. The lack of this feature has rendered EndNote 20 useless for me. I tried it and immediately found it unusable for how I work. Viewing PDFs easily is one of the main reasons I use EndNote (X9) in the first place.

An EndNote support person emailed me in response to a forum post here:

EndNote 20 do not have a preview window to view PDF on the right side of the library window. You can open it in a separate EndNote PDF preview window, or you can also use third party PDF viewer like Adobe. We have already raised an Enhancement request to our Development team include the PDF preview option on the right side of the library window. We don’t have an estimated time frame on when this be included.

The lack of the PDF viewer in the viewing pane is enormously frustrating and within 30 minutes I uninstalled it and reverted to EndNote X9. Despite being an early adopter and enthusiastic ambassador of EndNote, I am now seeking out competitors’ products.

You can go to researchgate for some comparisons of reference managers.

1 Like

I look forward to seeing this feature implemented. Thanks for listening to the community and implementing product suggestions.

I completely agree! Please bring back PDF preview feature. It is essential for efficient  browsing of the PDF contents for many references, quickly!

1 Like

Yes, I am very dissapointed with endnote 20.  Preview of PDF is necesary.

Yes - I feel like I’ve wasted my money upgrading to 20 because of this lack of pdf functionality

1 Like

Me too…the PDF preview feature in EndNote X9 was one of the application’s most useful. I used it extensively to quickly scan through PFDs in my library without the hassle of opening and closing windows. Please bring it back!!

Stephen

1 Like

What is there left to say?

Yes, please bring this feature back as soon as possible.

Applications of today are flooded with multiple preview features to increase interaction speed, usability and multitasking - how is it possible that you remove such an essential preview feature that made EndNote unique nearly two decades ago when other literature managementt applications were just offering what you are doing now?!

Actually, I also requested this feature in the novel EndNote mobile apps when they were published and lacking a PDF preview feature. So, please, not only bring it back in the desktop application but, please, also implement it in the mobile applications.

1 Like

Have just upgaded to EndNote 20 on Mac and am missing the PDF preview feature on the split bottom of the page. The visual recognition of the paper as a PDF is enormously helpful when scanning through a lot of papers.

I understand that this issue has been escalated to your development team.

Is this likely to occur soon otherwise I may need to downgrade to X9 or to another platform?

Hi I do a lot of writing and in-text citation and have been a Endnote enduser for many years. I know that software changes and updates happen out of nescasity, but please bring back the preview window in the main window. This feature set the endnote working environment apart from other competitors and stream lines my ability to select my references when I completing mansucripts.

I fully agree. The PDF preview was a key feature that I used every day many times.

Without that, EndNote has lost some of its appeal, and quite unnecessarily so. I hope this will be fixed very soon.

1 Like

I agree, the PDF is probably the most frustrating lackof feature.

Other functionality has been removed or dumbed down.

1. why can the font size not be set in pints as before?

2. the space between individual records should be adjustable, currently it displays far too few records.

3. generally, I am amazed how little improvement, and in fact deterioration occurred between X9 and E 20

1 Like