Endnote 20 - Enable preview pdf

Bring back viewing pdf within the main window (like in x9) instead of having to pop it out in a different window. This makes viewing multiple pdfs much easier as well as switching between pdfs. Will have to revert back to x9 for this feature.

22 Likes

Yes, fully agree!

Instant PDF views were one of the best Endnote features!

If there won’t be a quick upgrade, I’ll downgrade to version X9 as well…

9 Likes

Absolutely agree!

To see PDFs within the main window, like in previous versions, is important to me and use separate window(s) to display PDFs is very uncomfortable!! Bring it back!

8 Likes

Yes, I am disappointed that perfectly useful features have been removed in EndNote 20. We need the preview PDF function. I don;t want to have to click on the pdf field to then open another window.

7 Likes

Totally agree! PDF preview is very useful ! I just don’t know why this feature was cancelled

Totally agree! I just do not why this useful feature was removed.

6 Likes

Ditto. The lack of this feature has rendered EndNote 20 useless for me. I tried it and immediately found it unusable for how I work. Viewing PDFs easily is one of the main reasons I use EndNote (X9) in the first place.

An EndNote support person emailed me in response to a forum post here:

EndNote 20 do not have a preview window to view PDF on the right side of the library window. You can open it in a separate EndNote PDF preview window, or you can also use third party PDF viewer like Adobe. We have already raised an Enhancement request to our Development team include the PDF preview option on the right side of the library window. We don’t have an estimated time frame on when this be included.

The lack of the PDF viewer in the viewing pane is enormously frustrating and within 30 minutes I uninstalled it and reverted to EndNote X9. Despite being an early adopter and enthusiastic ambassador of EndNote, I am now seeking out competitors’ products.

9 Likes

It is not only about PDF preview, it is amazing how endnote20 is feature-poor compared with endnote9. For instance, endnote9 enables you to resize and displace multiple panes such as references, library, and editing pad. this is particularly handy when you are on citation editing mode. All these are gone on endnote20. The technical team needs to get to the drawing board soonest. Otherwise this will be Note8 for Clarivate!

9 Likes

I absolutely agree with these comments - The ability to view PDFs side-by-side with the references is crucial to me. I installed Endnote 20 today, was horrified to find how much excellent functionality from X9 was missing, and I have now reverted to X9. I won’t be upgrading any time soon.

4 Likes

Agree with the above comments.  I previewed EndNote 20 for some of my company’s power X9 users.  They confirmed the value of having the PDF Preview pane within EndNote and won’t be upgrading to EndNote 20 anytime soon due to the lack of this functionality.

3 Likes

I totally agree

I actually preordered EN20 but have not installed it yet cause I dont want to lose the preview feature 

bring this feature back please

I am writing my dissertation and was very excited to upgrade to EndNote 20.  Aside from the very disconcerting dark-colored side bar, I noticed very quickly that the pdf preview was not in version 20 as it was in X9.  

I am switching back to X9 and will not be using 20 unless they get this fixed.  I am highly disappointed with Clarivate and EndNote’s development team.  This is something that is extremely important, given the 4K+ pdfs I have stored in my EndNote files-seeing just which pdf I am looking at visually is helpful to distinguish between the various “Tan 2007s” I have.

I will not be recommending EndNote to any colleagues until this is fixed.

I completely agree. I updated to EndNote 20 but not being able to preview the PDFs as I browse through my library made me go back to EndNote 9. Unless you know all your references by heart (I have roughly 5,000), not being able to quickly preview the PDFs you search for within your library renders the software useless.

I have used EndNote since was a student (2002) and now I even recommend it to my students, but unless the “right/bottom-PDF” function is restored I will NOT buy subsequent versions and I will be forced to switch to other referencing software.

I really hope that the Developer team takes this issue into account.

5 Likes

for example, it should be like this.

Unused organs disappear in Darwin’s evolution. But, Useful functions are missing in the evolution of EndNote. Continue this way.

Evolution of EndNote

ENDNOTE->ENDNOT->ENDNO->END->MEND->MENDE->MENDEL->MENDELE->MENDELEY

There is one difference. Mendeley is free. However, I paid 200 € to EndNote for these missing useful functions.

I mean, as useful functions disappear there is no better improvement, but a worse regression.

As a oldversion website says in its motto, Because, newer is not always better.

I am so angry. :angry::angry::angry:

I can say Endnote 20 is a huge step backward. Several amazing features from Endnote 9 has been removed in this new update and almost no improvement has been added. It is totally a waste of money and time to buy this new version, very disappointing. I rolled back to endnote 9 after several hours of search to find out about new features as much as I read, I got more disappointed and regrated for installing endnote 20. Congratulations to its developers!!!

2 Likes

I can say Endnote 20 is a huge step backward. Several amazing features from Endnote 9 has been removed in this new update and almost no improvement has been added. It is totally a waste of money and time to buy this new version, very disappointing. I rolled back to endnote 9 after several hours of search to find out about new features as much as I read, I got more disappointed and regrated for installing endnote 20. Congratulations to its developers!!!

2 Likes

yes this is awful

3 Likes

I agree - wish there was a PDF preview in the app. I just bought endnote 20 after watching videos and reading reviews on EndNote that were based on the x9 version. Feeling like I made a big mistake. Anyone know if it is possible to revert to x9 if 20 was my original purchase?

Pretty frustrated over here after playing around with this program for 3 days, not being able to get my online searches to configure with my university library, and not being able to adjust the view panes in the desktop program. 

3 Likes

These features sound amazing. I just bought EndNote 20 and I am extremely dissappointed after seeing great reviews for the software. Then, I realized that the reviews were based off EndNote X9 - anyone know if I can get a version of the older software?Â