Endnote 20: Line spacing too large

Since Endnote 20, the line spacing (white space between all entered references in the library) is too large. Even with font settings on smallest, on my 14" laptop, only 20 lines/references can be viewed simultaneously, whereas before in X9 I could easily see 30 lines or so.

Scrolling through my 2000+ references library, takes ages, without a good overview

Please bring back the option of reduced line spacing!

13 Likes

Yes!  I have exactly the same issue.  I just updated to EndNote20 and the display has far too much white space in empty lines.  Please give us the option to single-space.

8 Likes

I am also frustrated with this issue. Even with a large screen, I need to see as many references as possible.

6 Likes

I agree completely. Please reduce it to single space or give us the option to choose the line spacing.

8 Likes

Yes, line spacing was perfect before. Please provide at least a custom option to change it.

Perhaps, the line spacing is appropriate for touch screen devices, but a horrible choice for desktops and laptops. I reverted back to X9. No go.

D

6 Likes

Yes, line spacing was perfect before. Please provide at least a custom option to change it.

Perhaps, the line spacing is appropriate for touch screen devices, but a horrible choice for desktops and laptops. I reverted back to X9. No go.

D

It must be smaller OR give us an option what do we want - 1 line, 1.5, 2 lines etc

Przemko

6 Likes

I completely agree! Also, I loose much space of my screen above the reference list because of these terrible big buttons for adding references, … that could easily go in the same line as the search field. I am really frustrated about the layout and the little opportunity to customize.

6 Likes

Same as several others here. Have been using EndNote for 20+ years. Preordered EndNote 20 for macOS, but deleted it after a few minutes and went back to X9. I found the black/green GUI intrusive if not downright ugly, the line distance when displaying references too large, making EndNote 20 impractical to work with. Additionally the removal of layout functions and other functions made me ask for a refund. I was impresssed by the swift handling of my request by Clarivate who refunded me within days. Unfortunately, it looks as if development of EndNote is on the wrong track, and I will have to consider other solutions in the future. 

4 Likes

I agree with you. You are absolutely right. EndNote has a huge buttons and large line spacing. this is unprofessional. Children will not use it. academic personel will use it

4 Likes

Yes they made a mess of Endnote 20. Should be ashamed

4 Likes

I’ve gone back to using X9

they must be crazy

3 Likes

Agree completely! I’m going back to Endnote 9 until this gets fixed! Luckily the new version didn’t uninstall Endnote 9

4 Likes

I want to add my voice to this thread.  This needs to be fixed!

I want to add another voice to this thread.  Please fix this ASAP!

Yeah they need to stop smocking crack when they design the user interface. I deleted version 20 and went back to X9, too. 

Fully agree!! I registered to this Community Forum to report this, but I failed to find this thread when writing the first post. 

Has someone a hint for good advice to downgrade from EndNote 20 to X9.3.3 on macOS Big Sur (11.2.3)?

4 Likes

10 Min after upgrading, the line spacing is driving me crazy. Regretting the upgrade already!  Too much scrolling to see content.  I don’t need a ‘pretty’ interface, I need a functional one.  How could the beta-testers have let this one through?

Please make it possible to reduce line spacing

3 Likes

Totally agree.  I’ve been forced to upgrade to Endnote 20 to keep access to a shared library, but it is a retrograde step.  Developers clearly don’t understand how their product is used and the need to be able to scan a lot of references at the same time.  Please include an option to change the spacing of references.