Endnote 20: Line spacing too large

Same as several others here. Have been using EndNote for 20+ years. Preordered EndNote 20 for macOS, but deleted it after a few minutes and went back to X9. I found the black/green GUI intrusive if not downright ugly, the line distance when displaying references too large, making EndNote 20 impractical to work with. Additionally the removal of layout functions and other functions made me ask for a refund. I was impresssed by the swift handling of my request by Clarivate who refunded me within days. Unfortunately, it looks as if development of EndNote is on the wrong track, and I will have to consider other solutions in the future. 

4 Likes

I agree with you. You are absolutely right. EndNote has a huge buttons and large line spacing. this is unprofessional. Children will not use it. academic personel will use it

4 Likes

Yes they made a mess of Endnote 20. Should be ashamed

4 Likes

I’ve gone back to using X9

they must be crazy

3 Likes

Agree completely! I’m going back to Endnote 9 until this gets fixed! Luckily the new version didn’t uninstall Endnote 9

4 Likes

I want to add my voice to this thread.  This needs to be fixed!

I want to add another voice to this thread.  Please fix this ASAP!

Yeah they need to stop smocking crack when they design the user interface. I deleted version 20 and went back to X9, too. 

Fully agree!! I registered to this Community Forum to report this, but I failed to find this thread when writing the first post. 

Has someone a hint for good advice to downgrade from EndNote 20 to X9.3.3 on macOS Big Sur (11.2.3)?

4 Likes

10 Min after upgrading, the line spacing is driving me crazy. Regretting the upgrade already!  Too much scrolling to see content.  I don’t need a ‘pretty’ interface, I need a functional one.  How could the beta-testers have let this one through?

Please make it possible to reduce line spacing

3 Likes

Totally agree.  I’ve been forced to upgrade to Endnote 20 to keep access to a shared library, but it is a retrograde step.  Developers clearly don’t understand how their product is used and the need to be able to scan a lot of references at the same time.  Please include an option to change the spacing of references.  

I have the same issue, lost workflow functionality because the spacing is too wide and no capacity to change it - bring back the option of classic view, this new view is ugly and not easy to work with

2 Likes

How exactly is Endnote 20 an improvement? I feel angry. Get some UX who are social scientists, not bloody visual artists. When need visual functionality not aesthetics. That is my suggestion for product improvement

1 Like

This problem has kept me using version 9. I have contacted Endnote support twice about this. I don’t understand why they have not fixed this issue that many people have with v20.

I completely agree. This uses far too much space between the lines for a desktop application and makes working with Endnote much slower than before. Please add an option to reduce line spacing.

I agree. Within 10 seconds of seeing the new “modern” disaster of an interface, I knew I made a mistake. Unfortunately, my university does not store old copies so we can’t revert to X9.  I was able to change font sizes but that still did not help the cartoonish, space-wasting interface. It is just so painful and awkward to look out and find references I want to delete this software and move to Mendeley or Zotero but I have a grant due in 1.5 weeks. 

Please. Bring. Back. The. X9. Interface!!!

Completely agree. I would seriously think going back to X9 or change to XXXXX.

Completely agree. I seriously think going back to X9. People who consider upgrading to 20 should experience it with free trial.

November 2020… first complaining about line spacing too large and a solution is offered in 20.3 version in April 2022: 1 year 1/2 to correct this bug !!!
But the 20.3 version in Mac has bugs in sort fields and rapid search ! Probably we will have a solution in 2024 !