Formatting output styles

Hi,

Formatting output styles is a tidious job to perform, at least in EndNote 7, which I’m using.

If it were so that there was a kind of WYSIWYG interface, life would be much easier with EndNote.

It can be, however, that I should buy the newest version. If I could find a demo version, I could find out.

Otherwise, would my suggestion be received positively by the community?

TIA, Oriolus99

Endnote X at least does have a sort of WYSIWYG in the style manager. If you open the style Manager (edit>output styles>open style manager) when you have a style selected, there is a drop down menu with the choices “Style Info” (displayed as the default) and “Style Preview” which shows a number of examples: Book, Journal article and Chapter/Section in a book. This can be quite helpful when trying to find out whether a specific style is close to or exactly what you need.

@oriolus99 wrote:

If it were so that there was a kind of WYSIWYG interface, life would be much easier with EndNote.

Hi,

Here is a  sort-of-WYSIWYG method…

1. Display Preview in your ENL for the style you want to edit

2. Move the ENL window down so that the formatted citation is visible near the bottom EN

3. Begin editing your style (Edit > Output Styles > Edit “[your chosen style]”)

4. Select Bibliography > Templates

5. Make a chang

6. Press Ctrl+S to save your Style

7. The formatted citation will automatically reflect to new change to your style

8. Do more changes needed, pressing Ctrl+S each time to update the preview and confirm it is what you intended.

9. Close style edit (e.g. Ctrl+W)

10. Move ENL window back to convenient location (if necessary?)

The obvious drawback is that there is no undo with this method, hence the careful step-by-step approach.

Cheers

Paul