Group sub-folders

As my endnote library is growing, I would very much appreciate being able to have sub-folders within my groups.  This would allow me to organize my references more precisely.  For example, if I have a group set of “Geriatric Assessment Measures” I could then have groups for various categories, such as “Depression”, “Cognition”, “Activities of Daily Living”, and then subfolders for articles relating to the validity and testing of the specific measures within each group category.  For example, within “Depression”, I could have a sub-folder for “Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale” and a subfolder for “Geriatric Depression Scale” and another sub-folder for “Beck Depression Inventory”.  This would greatly help in grouping and organizing articles.

3 Likes

I have the same wish. Is it already available in the new version? I would buy that version only because of this function. 

I have the same wish. Is it already available in the new version? I would buy this new version only because of this function. 

Hi Serge,

I never used an old version of EndNote, so I don’t know what groups used to be like before. However, I can tell you that in EndNote X8, you can create Group Sets that contain Groups. For example, quoting stroh above, one could have:

• Geriatric Assessment Measures

Depression

Cognition

Activities of Daily Living

“Geriatric Assessment Measures” would be the group set and “Depression”, “Cognition” and “Activities of Daily Living” would be the various groups contained within the group set.

I have EndNote X7. It does have the possibility to create groups and group sets. Unfortunately, group sets add only one extra level, which is completely insufficient for me. In addition, it is organized in a way that is not convenient for modifying an old library. The group sets has a higher level than groups. To modify an old library it would be much more convenient to have subgroups of lower level (like folders and subfolders on a PC).

Can we expect anything in this direction in the future?

1 Like

The Endnote software is great, but the missing more-level-subfolder structure of references is a limitation that is sad :frowning:

i have the same wish. The endnote needs that option

Highly needed. I was using Mendeley and papers app before. Both had the subgroup functionality .
Please developers bring this subfolder update in the new app

Subfolders requested 7 years ago.

I am beginning to think that the “product suggestions” thread is not monitored (as is claimed).

Please,… add more level subfolder support. Please…

1 Like

its 2024 and group sup-folder is still not an option in the Endnote, Please consider adding this feature as requested by many users and over 10 years already…

1 Like

EndNote seems to be going backwards… I do wonder if they are trying to kill it off without doing it overtly?

1 Like

I agree, the rate of improvement is close to 0. The issue is more on the academic institutions as the main funding source of Endnote, without requesting resolving overdue issues similar to subgroup hierarchy. Unfortunately most students and faculties end up not using it and move on to more free and open source options with superior functionality

That is a shame. I had EndNote because the company got it way back as V8 (not X8) I was a light user. Now I am starting to use it a lot more. We updated every couple of versions, but never really saw any great improvements. It always seemed to give and take in equal measure, looking at the forums.

Now I am wondering if the next step is not to update Endnote but move to something else, which is a pity after so many years. I would ask what you might recommend instead, but here is not the place for that.

1 Like

unfortunately I haven’t found any program that is better though. You can make group sets of groups. I find the functionality adequate for my needs.

@leanne have you heard of Citavi? please take a look and you will be pleasantly surprised with the level of customization and countless features that they provide.
Group sublevels (beyond one level) is a must needed feature and has been requested on several threads for EndNote (just search on google), and yet developers keep ignoring this very much basic feature. At this point of time in 2024 where most applications are taking measures to integrate AI and Gen AI in their application, group sublevel in Endnote is rather a dream comes true feature :slight_smile: I bet for more advanced capabilities it will take more than half a century for them to implement higher level of sophistication. sorry to say but by that time, they are probably out the business!

1 Like

The reason I stick with Endnote is because it works for me and my collaborators whether we are on mac or pc and I prefer the desktop rather than cloud…(since I started with PC DOS and Endnote (period, no numbers, no “plus” just Endnote) and for Endnote to become a cloud efficient program, it would need to start over which with 20/21 they sort of tried to do, but with that comes all the changes that upset us long time users. It was a lose-lose effort. They didn’t please anyone. I am glad I just have a year or two to soldier thru with our existing libraries. But more power to the younger user community for more updated solutions. It also sounds from their website that they have tools to make the transfer go smoothly.

Actually, the other program does seem to have options for local, network or cloud storage on a per library or per project(?) basis. However, the effort to move from one system to another at this point…

It’s going to need some serious thought by me. Also, some serious thought by Clarivate as to where they want to go as this forum appears to be largely unhappy users.

1 Like

true and adding to your point, unfortunately there is no response from a moderator or an Endnote developer team member to addressing issues in this and many other threads, it’s just users talking to each other since 2012!!! and hoping that they would hear us!
Again, large academic institution blindly subscribing to products that don’t provide value (or bare minimum value) is the main problem! Measures need to be taken from the procurement offices in each academic institution to resolve this and many other requested features or basically change the product type.