In EndNote 20, please, please, please bring back the 'bottom split' layout option

I do a lot of EndNote training for my organization which has a site license (currently EndNote X9) and have been an EndNote user since version 6.  I’ve had a quick peek at version 20 via a trial installation and was immediately horrified to see the Layouts option is no longer available (called Tech Support to confirm this).

The ‘bottom split’ layout is the one I have all (Windows) workshop participants immediately switch to, as in one window it allows you to see your references + a preview of an attached PDF + a preview of a highlighted reference in your chosen citation style.  This layout is incredibly useful and one that I and my workshop attendees have come to depend on.

So Clarivoate, please bring this key feature back!  On the Mac platform, there isn’t an equivalent to the Windows ‘bottom split’ layout option (you have to toggle between ‘bottom split’ (to see pdfs) and ‘bottom preview’ to see formatted citations) but at least it was close. It would be ideal to have the Windows ‘bottom split’ option available on both platforms in version 20 and beyond.

22 Likes

Agreed. Endnote 20 removed most of the great features of x9 and leaves us with a fancy piece of junk. Fancy icons at the top of the reference list take up valuable screenspace. the line spacing leave lots of white space an I see less references shown. I can’t edit in a seperate window the reference. So if I have three conference papers, and I want the references to be identical, in x9 I edited all three at the same time. Can’t do that now.

2 Likes

Not just the split screen.I would also rather have it on the bottom

I made an serious error when I upgraded from Endnote 8 to 20. I effectively payed lot of money to get a programe with reduced functionality and minimlal flexibility compared with Endnote 8.

All the single buttton press functions now require you to remember a host of different keystrokes plus the annoying black field on the left cannot be moved and just takes up screenwidth better used for reference lines.

In additoin there is a single default text  for the appearance of refernces on the screen. For me the sceeen hadstoo much glare with spidery text agains ta white background.

10 Likes

I agree - I much prefer having the bottom split layout option

7 Likes

So many people are complaining on this issue, a major downgrade.

The automatic PDF preview is a MUST HAVE for so many people.

@Clarivate/Endnote, when do/will you give us this feature back? Please respond!

7 Likes

As for me, I have went back to EndNote X7 and asked for a X9 license. It is impossible to work normally with EndNote 20 :cry:

5 Likes

… see above, same with me!

5 Likes

Same here. This “upgrade” feels more like a downgrade. Please bring back the old user interface with pdf preview.

5 Likes

Same. Just bought the Mac version. Please bring back the ‘bottom split’ layout option.

5 Likes

Yes, please bring it back

Przemko

5 Likes

I totally agree - the bottom split is necessary. I don`t understand why they have deleted. 

I don’t understand why the bottom split disappeared - a big mistake. That you can not see the pdf file in the bottom split immediately - impossible.

Moreover, another point of criticism, I can no longer directly delete, edit, etc. the search results. Everything is more complicated and unnecessary nonsense !!!

I completely agree. I updated to EndNote 20 but not being able to preview the PDFs as I browse through my library made me go back to EndNote 9. Unless you know all your references by heart (I have roughly 5,000), not being able to quickly preview the PDFs you search for within your library renders the software useless.

I have used EndNote since was a student (2002) and now I even recommend it to my students, but unless the “right/bottom-PDF” function is restored I will NOT buy subsequent versions and I will be forced to switch to other referencing software.

I really hope that the Developer team takes this issue into account.

7 Likes

Same with me,

please bring back the split view, otherwise it is a real downgrade.

For the moment I will stick to X9.

Academic people don’t need a simple interface, they want as much one-click-functions as possible.

Please, please re-think your vision.

Same with me,

please bring back the split view, otherwise it is a real downgrade.

For the moment I will stick to X9.

Academic people don’t need a simple interface, they want as much one-click-functions as possible.

Please, please re-think your vision.

Same as several others here. Have been using EndNote for 20+ years. Preordered EndNote 20 for macOS, but deleted it after a few minutes and went back to X9. I found the black/green GUI intrusive if not downright ugly, the line distance when displaying references too large, making EndNote 20 impractical to work with. Additionally the removal of layout functions and other functions made me ask for a refund. I was impresssed by the swift handling of my request by Clarivate who refunded me within days. Unfortunately, it looks as if development of EndNote is on the wrong track, and I will have to consider other solutions in the future. 

5 Likes

I also would like to have this feature restored.  Having the viewing section on the bottom is far more useful for me than the current option.

4 Likes

Yes, and that’s not the only functionality they TOOK OUT. This is an abomination.

1. You cannot open windows, and especially you can’t open multiple windows simultaneously…necessary for editing between them.

2. The term lists simply don’t function anymore. They don’t “fill in” in an Endnote reference. They don’t show whether phrases are or are not consistent with the term lists in an Endnote record. You can’t search for one in the term list windows…so entering them from there is beyond clumsy.  They are nigh near useless.

4 Likes

I can’t beleive they have removed all options to simultaneously view refernce entry + pdf. Why? Please resotore this essential feature!

3 Likes

Same problem here. Don’t know how to toggle and bring the three panels back simultaneously. Very bad wish I can go back to version X9

same problem here. wish If I can go back to older versions.