Sync attachments with absolute paths

I have got a syncing problem between EndNote X7 on my Mac and EndNote Online (and the iPad Version respectively).

As EndNote X7 saves attachments under in arbitrary folders, I decided to manually manage my library and work with absolute paths. Now I realized it seems to be impossible to sync attachments (PDF’s) with absolute paths from my EndNote X7 library to EndNote Online. As a result I cannot really use the EndNote for iPad Version due to the missing attachments in EndNote Online. Therefore I either have to transform my whole library into relative paths (and live with the fact that EndNote saves the PDF’s under these arbitrary strings, so that I cannot find my files without EndNote anymore) or I will never be able to use EndNote with any other device than my local library.

Could you therefore please add syncing of attachments with absolute paths between EndNote and EndNote Online in a future update of EndNote?!

1 Like

I am in the exact same situation as unimafp. EndNote X7 doesn’t seem to sync absolute path file attachments to EndNote Online… am I missing something? In our case, no file attachments are available to download in the iPad app.

I have been having the same problem with absolute paths.  I keep my pdfs in a Google drive folder.  This is mirrored onto another computer.  The Google drive folder is exactly the same on two machines.  I am able to sync the references but not the attached pdfs.  I have no problem on either machine showing the attachments added on that machine.  But the pdf is dropped on the machine that did not upload it.  It would seem like Endnote is adding some additional information to the link that is not visible and the information is somehow references the computer. The path to the pdfs is  exactly  the same on both computers, but after syncing to the non-uploading computer, the attachment is stripped.  

I want to use absolute links so my annotations stay on one copy.  I  annotate these outside  of Endnote and I do not want to have to find the folder that Endnote places the relative copy into in order to do this.  Seems like a common problem across syncing apps, Evernote uses relative links as well.  Still trying to figure out a fix on that one too.

2021 and I also have the exact same problem. So after 7 years of the original suggestion, EndNote didn’t care to even post a reply, let alone consider to add synching files with absolute path?

And how much does EndNote cost again?

2021 and I also have the exact same problem. So after 7 years of the original suggestion, EndNote didn’t care to even post a reply, let alone consider to add synching files with absolute path?

And how much does EndNote cost again?