ABNT (Author-Date) Style Bug - Brazilians Users

By the ABNT (author-date) style the author’s name inside the parenthesis is all appercase, but when you cite with the author’s name outside the parenthesis, only the first letter of the author’s name must be uppercase. Ex: (SMITH, 1999) or Smith (1999). The Endnote X7 can not differentiate it.

1 Like

We are in 2020, with the EndNote X9 version and so far the problem persists.

I am having the same problem with ENDNOTE X9 and ENDNOTE X20. I just bouth the upgrade for the last version but the bug continues.
When I edit the Citations Templates - In-Text Citations and I made the Transformation for UPPERCASE in author, the document in Word lost the format.
ex.: 
Citation

(AUTHOR, |Year|, p. Cited Pages|)

The result is: 
…valor científico, econômico, social [e]/ou cultural”  (AUTHOR, 2016l, p. 37)

and it should be as:

…valor científico, econômico, social [e]/ou cultural”  (PACHECO, 2016, p. 37).

I am having the same problem with ENDNOTE X9 and ENDNOTE X20. I just bouth the upgrade for the last version but the bug continues. When I edit the Citations Templates - In-Text Citations and I made the Transformation for UPPERCASE in author, the document in Word lost the format. ex.:  Citation (AUTHOR, |Year|, p. Cited Pages|) 

The result is:  …valor científico, econômico, social [e]/ou cultural”  (AUTHOR, 2016l, p. 37)

and it should be as:

…valor científico, econômico, social [e]/ou cultural”  (PACHECO, 2016, p. 37).

The problem persists.

Is there any solution?

can you send the output style to a compressed zip file and attach it?  

1 Like

Dear @Leanne

I cannot find how to export and zip the output style, but I will try my best to clarity our problem:

ABNT have these rules:

When author is cited as first word, need to be Einstein (1940) //First capital letter

When is cited as second word to finish sentence, need to be (EINSTEIN, 1940) //Uppercase

In Output Style > Citations > Templates we have two option:

Citation: (Author, |Year|, p. Cited Pages|)

Citation Author (Year): Author (|Year|, p. Cited Pages|)

//Author is a field that you select from “insert field”. When changing word ‘Author’ to ‘AUTHOR’ it works as word, not a dynamic field as expected.

In Output Style > Citations > Author Name we have Name Format with four options:

Capitalization: As Is / All Uppercase / Normal / Small Caps

As an example, what we want to achieve is:

Using post-processed temporary citation {Romice, 2020 #007}, the desired result must be: (ROMICE, 2020)

Using post-processed temporary citation {Romice, 2020@@author-date #007), the desired result must be: Romice (2020)

What I tried to bypass this issue:

1. Rewrite temporary citations to {ROMICE, 2020} and {Romice, 2020} to check if capitalization in RTF document and capitalization in Output Style > Citations > Author Name configured as “As Is” can generate desired result above.

2. Rewrite the word ‘Author’ to ‘AUTHOR’ in Output Style > Citations > Templates to generate desired result above, but it’s not work as stated. It works as dynamic field only if written as ‘Author’.

3. If Output Style > Citations > Author Name is changed for UPPERCASE we cannot achieve both results above, just one which is terible…

Endnote Version: 20.1 (Build 15341)

Thank you very much!

Dear Leanne

I cannot find how to export and zip the output style, but I will try my best to clarity our problem:

ABNT have these rules:

When author is cited as first word, need to be Einstein (1940) //First capital letter

When is cited as second word to finish sentence, need to be (EINSTEIN, 1940) //Uppercase

In Output Style > Citations > Templates we have two option:

Citation: (Author, |Year|, p. Cited Pages|)

Citation Author (Year): Author (|Year|, p. Cited Pages|)

//Author is a field that you select from “insert field”. When changing word ‘Author’ to ‘AUTHOR’ it works as word, not a dynamic field as expected.

In Output Style > Citations > Author Name we have Name Format with four options:

Capitalization: As Is / All Uppercase / Normal / Small Caps

As an example, what we want to achieve is:

Using post-processed temporary citation {Romice, 2020 #007} shows: (ROMICE, 2020)

Using post-processed temporary citation {Romice, 2020@@author-date #007) shows: Romice (2020)

What I tried to bypass this issue:

1. Rewrite temporary citations to {ROMICE, 2020} and {Romice, 2020} to check if capitalization in RTF document and capitalization in Output Style > Citations > Author Name configured as “As Is” can generate desired result above.

2. Rewrite the word ‘Author’ to ‘AUTHOR’ in Output Style > Citations > Templates to generate desired result above, but it’s not work as stated. It works as dynamic field only if written as ‘Author’.

3. If Output Style > Citations > Author Name is changed for UPPERCASE we cannot achieve both results above, just one which is terible…

Thank you very much!

Sorry, was on holiday during the last couple weeks.  

Endnote will not let you use two different Author (uppercase vs lower case) options for the two different situations you quote.  I recommend you hide the author (right click in the formated citation) and type it in prior to the endnote citation, and retain the more commonly used (AUTHOR, year) option for the regular citations.  

Citation: (AUTHOR, |Year|, p. Cited Pages|)

Using post-processed temporary citation (with Romice added manually).  

Romice {, 2020 #007}, the result will be: Romice (2020)

Remember if it is a multi authored paper you need to also add the et al. manually in this case

In my science writing I really avoid using the author name in the sentence, and just cite the full citation in parentheses.