APA 6th Edition website citations

I am not sure if this is the right forum for this question but here goes. When I cite electronic articles, I cannot get the date to print when I retrieved it from. I put in the date in “Date Accessed” May 20, 2010 and it does not show up in the annotated bibliography and the reference correctly. Can someone please help me? Thank you

Just to confirm my interpretation of your message, it sounds like you’re writing an annotated bibliography using the APA 6th style.  You may already know about this but chapter 6, page 192 of the APA 6th style manual states:  Do not include retrieval dates unless the source material may change over time (e.g., Wikis).

In the event you do happen to need a retrieval date in your bibliography, the most likely reason why it’s not appearing is because the field (Date Accessed) is missing from your APA 6th’s output style template.

TO CHECK YOUR APA TEMPLATE AND INSERT THE DATE ACCESSED FIELD:

1. Go to the EndNote toolbar, select EDIT, OUTPUT STYLES, “EDIT APA 6th”.  This will cause the APA 6th style window to appear on screen.

2. In the left column, locate “Bibliography” then click to select TEMPLATES.  Locate the “Electronic Article” template  by clicking the pull-down menu next to REFERENCE TYPES. (See Image1.gif)

3. In the Electronic Article template, note that the field “Date Accessed” is missing (Image1.gif).

4. To modify the template, use the “Insert Field” drop down menu to insert command symbols and the Date Accessed field (See Image2.gif).  The symbols include:  | = Forced Separation        ` = tilde key         * = Link Adjacent Text

5. Close the APA 6th style window.  You will be prompted to save the changes.  If you elect to save the changes under a different name, don’t forget to change your style setting to match, otherwise the the template changes won’t be operational.

This example uses the Electronic Article template but the instructions are the same for modifying other templates as needed.

1 Like

Thank you very much CrazyGecko! I appreciate your time and your help with this. Your solution resolved my issue…

Hello,

I had the same problem and tried to fix it using the instruction you provided. Unfortunately, everything messed up and the original format changed to something weird. How can I fix my endnote and reset the referencing to the original shape?

Thanks in advance