Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Visitor
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Author with two different formats in the same reference

[ Edited ]

I have a publication requirement for the bibliography wherein each reference also comprises a headline including the first author et. al. in capital letters plus the year as in the following example:

SMITH ET. AL., 2021

Smith J., Lyons R., Cooper A., Li Y., Baxter B.: Mobile Design. Science 4 (2021) etc.

Thus the Author field is needed in two different formats,

i.e. SMITH ET. AL. 

and Smith J., Lyons R., Cooper A., Li Y., Baxter B. 

However, Output Styles-> Bibliography->Author Lists only appears to allow a unique setting for the format of the Author field.

I did notice I could also enter the field ´Citation´ in the definition of the Output Styles-> Bibliography->Templates, which refers to an in-text citation style having this name.

The result is promising:

(SMITH ET. AL., 2021)

Smith J., Lyons R., Cooper A., Li Y., Baxter B.: Mobile Design. Science 4 (2021) etc.

Hence, I deleted the parentheses in Output Styles->Citations->Template for the ´Citation´ template. Voilà, now the the bibliography complies with the requirements above. However, the in-text citation style is missing its parentheses.

So I was wondering if I could create a ´MyCitationStyle´ in Output Styles->Citations->Template without parentheses and use it only in the bibliography. Unfortunately, from what I read in this forum, EndNote apparently does not allow to create in citation templates.

Is there any solution to my problem using EndNote?

Mentor
0 Kudos

Re: Author with two different formats in the same reference (edited)

[ Edited ]

you can type the parentheses around the intext citation.  That is the only solution I can see. 

Although you might be able to figure out a way to use the Author et al (year) version of the citation template options in the text - modifying it to be (Author, year) or vice versa?  

(long time Endnote user)