Can I assign a different style for each category?

I have multiple categories in my document, each category has a number of references.

Can I select a different style for each category?

Thank you!

Are these categories related to different reference types? 

Output styles define the styles for each reference type in separate templates.  So books have their own template in an output style, for example.  Different publishers require different order and font formats for each type of reference, so that is where a style is used to write and format the bibliography and in text or footnoted citations, for a certain publicaton/publisher.  Styles are not used to define how a category would be displayed.  

Also different reference types can have different fields.  Again, if you compare a book and a journal article, different fields are required to be filled out, and then the output style would order them and include the necessary information to locate the original published work when you are writing a paper. 

does that help?  maybe I am misunderstanding your question?   

1 Like

Thank you very much for your informative reply.

I would use different styles in the same document because I am citing references in different languages. I created a new style that fits the other language, for example, if a reference has more than one author, in the Biography section, this character “&” will be used before the last author. In another language, different methods are used.

I need to have both languages in the same document, the solution I am thinking of is to used different styles. 

You indicated a much better solution than I was thinking, playing around with reference types. I tried it but unfortunately, the Author Separators (i.e. & and et al) cannot be edited for each reference type.

Again, I do appreciate your help.

Thank you very much, would I be able to specify “author separators” for each reference type?

It seems to only allow different author separators in the bibliography templates for Authors or for Editors.  Does that suffice?  See the options in the attachment for Authors.  Similar options are in the Editor list section below. 

How can I change the “author separators” from the “Templates”?

For example:

Author (Year). "Title." Journal| Volume|(Issue)|: Pages|.

I meant changing the “Auther separators” for each reference type.

I don’t know what you mean by Author separators from the circled Author (Year) in Generic?  separation from what?  

Show what you want to appear in two scenarios?  

I apologize for that.

“Author separates”  that I meant are " &, and, et al", which can be found under the “Auther list”.

I want to change theses separators to another language for some references, not all references. I tried that by

• using two styles in one document
  • using different references types

but with no success.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Yes - it isn’t possibly to do that easily.  The only way is to do it with two styles. But it depends on how the citations are cited.  For example, if numbered – this won’t work.  If alphabetically, you will need to combine and re-sort the Bibliographies that result from each step.  And  you should avoid having two different language citations as a “grouped” citation.  With those caveats 

The work around is to use temporary citations (turn instant formatting OFF)  rather than formatted citations while you are writing.  You can manually change one of the temporary citation delimiters (the curly brackets are the usual delimiters) to square brackets for the other language.  At the final step when you are ready to submit, you would format the curly bracketed citations (Say those are the English ones) with the English style.  Once that is done, you save the file, you remove the endnote field codes on the copy - Then change to your other language output style,  then change the temporary citation delimiters to square brackets in the word (see the image attached on how to do that).  Now update the citations and bibliography.  Now unlink the Endnote fields again, combine the two bibliographies and use word to  resort those paragraphs.  I find this easiest to find the sort tool in word (as it usually buried in the table ribbon somewhere) by selecting the bibliography paragraphs (without the “title”) and type sort in Word’s “search” field at the top – it usually finds the tool you need to do what you searched for.  

Remember to make any editorial changes to the original unformated version with the original bracketed citations and you will need to repeat these steps.  

1 Like

There is a way more complicated way to try this for numbered citations, but has some manual work involved, as you need to figure out what number a citation would be (so format them all once -so you know their numbers) and then put that information in a field that would be included in the Bibliography Layout (Put the number in the Label field for this, and replace the Bibliography no field with “Label” (no quotes). If you use this field, you may want to copy your records to a new library as you go, and then insert in your word document.   Then unformat to temporary citations (not plain text) and replace the 2nd language with square brackets, and format, unlink.  Then repeat with other output style after changing the temporary citation delimiters.  Then you would again combine the two bibliographies and sort them.  

Thank you very much!