Citations not Formatting Correctly

Hi,

I am using Endnote X3, with Mac 10.6.4 and using Mac Word 2008. I am trying to insert my citations in the style of Vancouver, but no matter what I try it seems that it will only insert in the original style that Endnote was installed as (annotated). The citation style is set as Vancouver, and it displays correctly within the Endnote window but each citation within Word remains in the incorrect style. I have tried exiting and restarting Endnote and I have also restart my computer, all to no avail.

Could someone please help in this regard.

Thank you,

Andy

Andy, what style is set in your Word document? On your Endnote toolbar in Word have a look at the middle box. Is the style showing Vancouver or is it set to Annotated? I think this might be the problem.

Cheers,

Cathy

1 Like

Which box is this are you talking about? My toolbar does not appear to have any such option? I am using the Mac version maybe it is only on Windows the button you are talking about? I am not sure?

Thanks 

Andy

The attached screen shot should help. The key is to know that the bibliographic formatting style can be set differently for the Preview in EndNote and the formatting of a Word document.

I hope this helps.

Jason Rollins, the EndNote team

2 Likes

Thanks very much for your help! I’ve got it working correctly now. It was very helpful with the screenshot and all.

Thanks

Andy

Hello.  I am having a similar problem, but following your instructions only gave a partial fix.  Now, EndNote formats correctly (Chicago 15th A)ï»żÂ the first time I cite a book in a footnote.  However, the second time that same work is footnoted, it does not.   For example, a book cites correctly (as a book) with a comma before the page number the first timeï»ż, and it uses a colon instead of a comma before the page number the second time (as if it were a journal article):

FIRST CITATION: Hans-Georg Gadamer, Truth and Method, trans. Joel Weinsheimer and Donald G. Marshall, Second, Revised ed. (New York: Continuum, 2004), 512.

SECOND CITATION OF SAME WORK (after a different work by same author is cited): ———, Truth and Method: 371.

I have tried to remove ï»żeach citation through EndNote (not just by using the Delete Key) and to reinsert themï»ż, to no avail.

I reinstalled EndNote X.4 and the 4.0.2 update to no avail.

I am having the same problem. It was working perfectly fine then suddenly the citations are now in annotated style instead of Vancouver. I have checked both Endnote and Word and both have the correct output style but it’s still done incorrectly!!! Please help

Forgot to say I am using Endnote X7.1 and MS Word in Windows 8.

This issue probably can occur if the font information is coming from the last line before the bibliography gets created. The easiest way to fix this is to unformat the document, add an extra line with a plain font and no formatting then format the bibliography again.

First make a backup copy of the document then please follow these instructions:

1. In Word 2010, go to the EndNote tab and use the pull down for Convert Citations and Bibliography>Convert to Unformatted Citations.
  2. Go to the last page of the document and make sure the bibliography has been removed.
  3. Remove any extra lines, carriage returns or spaces after the last character in your paper.
  4. Press Enter at the end of the last line in your paper to add one additional line.
  5. Press space once on your keyboard to create a single space.
  6. Highlight the space and make sure the font settings are to the size, type and formatting you want your bibliography to be.
  7. Go to the EndNote tab and click the small arrow at the bottom right of the middle box labeled Bibliography.
  8. Click the Instant Formatting tab and click Turn On. Click Ok.

This will help you to resolve the issue, however if the above steps did not help, then please follow the steps below to modify the Styles settings in Word. By modifying this setting, you can the align references as required.

1. In Word 2010, go to Home tab and use the pull down for Styles > Click on ‘EndNote Bibliography’ and then click on the drop down arrow . Choose Modify.
  2. Under Formatting, choose the required alignment and click OK. I have attached a screenshot for your reference.
1 Like

Hi,

I am using Endnoteonline, with Mac 10.6.4 and using Mac Word 2011. I am trying to insert my citations in the style of Vancouver, but no matter what I try it seems that it will only insert in the original style that Endnote was installed as (annotated). The citation style is set as Vancouver, and it displays correctly within the Endnote window but each citation within Word remains in the incorrect style. I have tried exiting and restarting Endnote and I have also restart my computer, all to no avail.

Thank you,

Alex

Hi,

I am using Endnoteonline, with Mac 10.6.4 and using Mac Word 2011. I am trying to insert my citations in the style of Vancouver, but no matter what I try it seems that it will only insert in the original style that Endnote was installed as (annotated). The citation style is set as Vancouver, and it displays correctly within the Endnote window but each citation within Word remains in the incorrect style. I have tried exiting and restarting Endnote and I have also restart my computer, all to no avail.

Thank you,

Alex

Hi,

I am using Endnote online and using Mac Word 2011. I am trying to insert my citations in the style of Vancouver, but no matter what I try it seems that it will only insert in the original style that Endnote was installed as (annotated). The citation style is set as Vancouver, and it displays correctly within the Endnote window but each citation within Word remains in the incorrect style. I have tried exiting and restarting Endnote and I have also restart my computer, all to no avail.

Thank you,

Ahmad

You must change the output style in the word document (on the endnote ribbon).  changing it in Endnote has no affect on existing documents.  – This way, you can be working on two manuscripts to different publishers at the same time without switching endnote back and forth!  

No matter I do, citations on the text are kept in the same format (see below). It only changes in reference list, but not on the text. I already reinstalled endnote and pages plug-in
 How can I solve this?

What output style are you using and what do you want to appear?  

Pages 6 with Pages plug-in v3.0:

It appears the newest Cite While You Write plug-in released by Apple for Pages 6 is causing serious issues primarily related to formatting in-text citations.  So far, we’ve received user reports for three separate formatting issues:

1. Instead of inserting an in-text citation as (LastnameA, LastnameB, and LastnameC, 2017), the format is now  (LastnameA, FirstnameA; LastnameB, FirstnameB; LastnameC, FirstnameC 2017).
  2. When we change the output format in Pages’ Edit menu, the Bibliography changes as expected, but the in-text citations remain unaffected.
  3. Repeated citations are not abbreviated. For instance, (LastnameA, LastnameB, and LastnameC, 2017) should become (LastnameA et al., 2017) on repeated citations in one of my output styles. This does not happen. Instead even repeated citations remain at (LastnameA, LastnameB, and LastnameC, 2017).

We are waiting for an additional update by Apple the best workaround at this time would be to go back to the older version of Pages or consider switching to Microsoft Word.

Hi, I am using windows 10 and endnote X8.  When i do intext referencing, the reference is coming out with a #. For example the reference is coming out like (Brand, 2011 #56). I don’t know why. Please assist. 

You are seeing the “temporary citations”  you can turn on autoformatting – or you can “update citations and bibliography” on the Endnote Ribbon.  It should be appearing between curly brackets and not plain parentheses though?   You should choose an appropriate output style too on that ribbon.  

I have the same problem as the user you just answered. 

I have tried your suggestions, but it still doesn’t work.

I don’t even get a reference list at the bottum of the page.

During my hard work with getting it to work I remember finding a place where I changed from curly brackets til normal brackets, now I can’t seem to find the same place to correcet it to curly brackets. Do you know where it is.

Getting insane with this problem

I hope you can help

there are two places you may have changed it.  

1. in preferences (edit, preferences, in Endnote program on a PC, apple menu on a Mac) check temporay citations settings. there you will see the temporary citaiton delimiters.  

2. Word program, endnote tab/ribbon, open the bibliography settings (the little left bottom dropdown) and there you can also change the temporary citation delimitersÂ