EndNote styles - (Smith et al., 2006; 2007; 2008)

This thread seemed to end hanging with Leanne’s 12-11-2012 comment that:

“But the obvious correct behavior would be for Endnote to first check if the primary-first author is the same, and if not impose the disambiguaton steps (2008a, 2008b and then adding initials for your example), and then to apply the omit to the identical first author group.   That is how they will end up in a publication citation for most journals I have come across.” 

I agree, and there seemed to be no argument on this point, but anything new from EndNote?  

I too was trying figure out a way to meet that expectation for a jounal force abbreviation of in text citations to non-identical, but non-ambiguous author lists.   Let’s say, I have two articles, one by Dewey, Cheatham, and Howell (2001) and one by Dewey, Cheatham, Howell, and Wye (2002). I would like to abbreviate the in text citations to appear as (Dewey et al., 2001; 2002).  I can usually get this results OK through playing with excluding authors in individual citations (I’m still on X4), but it would be nice to be able to do this more consistently through style definitions. 

Cheers, Chris