How to export a EndNote libray to a MEDLINE/RIS file format

PuMed offers an option to add references to a bibliography using a file, which is obviously more convenient than entering each reference manually. I am talking about references  which are not in PubMed.

The file needs to be a MEDLINE or RIS formatted one.

EndNote allows exporting a library (or part of it) in any format, but surprisingly, there doesn’t seem to be any way to export it in either a MEDLINE or RIS formatted file.

I can’t possibly be the first one to be facing this problem, but I failed to find any help on this issue in the forums (there is only one thread about this topic, and it basically ends up with the advice: write you own style.

thread link: community.thomsonreuters.com/t5/EndNote-Styles-Filters-and/Medline-Output-Style-help-requested/m-p/35263

4 years later, is that still the case? I have tried to export from endnote in different styles, but PubMed refuses to interpret these bibliography files.

Thanks in adance for any pointers.

There is a Refman (RIS) export style which I think is part of the default downloaded output styles. At least it lives in my “default” folder.  I attach my version.  

Also, if this in relation to the Biosketch production, I had posted a question on exporting from endnote for that.  I got a response, but they never reached out to me with the perl program.  You might try PMing them 

http://community.thomsonreuters.com/t5/EndNote-General/Export-from-Endnote-into-My-NCBI-s-My-Bibliography/m-p/127800#M24090
RefMan (RIS) Export.ens (298 KB)

Have tried using Endnote’s “Refman (RIS) Export” output style to export your Endnote library as an RIS-formatted file. (Go to the Endnote toolbar and select Edit >Output styles >Open Style Manager. Scroll down the list in the Style Manager dialog box and select Refman (RIS) Export.)

The Refman style worked like a charm.

Thanks a bunch!

:slight_smile:

Hi

When I try to save ris file as export/ it saved as text document&?

How to save it as ris ??

Tanks

After exporting, just change the file name to end in .ris rather than .txt