Journals are not consistenly abbreviated in Endnoteweb

Hi,

I am using endnoteweb with the cite while you write plugin for word (Version: Mac 2011). I use the style: ASM journals

Now that I am going through the references of my manuscript,Ā  I see that several journals are not abbreviated, while others are. I have tried to find where I could enter the abbraviations in the references at endnote web, for several of these journals, but I could not find them. What is more, I could not even find where the abbreviations are of the journals that were abbreviated in my reference list.

Ā An it is not that the these journals are never abbreviated, it can be that in one referece a journal is abbreviated, while in the next with the same journal it is not abbreviated.

That drives me nuts.

So could somebody tell me how to update in endnoteweb, the reference so that the journal names are correctly abbreviated, or if that is impossible. Which would again prove me that papers3 is still my favorite citation manager.

Below is the list of journal names (those are not very special), that sometimes were abbreviated.

Plos neglected tropical diseases
Applied and Environmental Microbiology
Genome biology
Molecular Ecology Resources
Journal of Microbiology
Frontiers in Life ScienceĀ 

ThomasH

Journal names in records import whatever is in the database, and these vary. Ā The desktop version of Endnote has an elegant method to replace Journal names with the appropriate version depending on the requirements of the publisher, and it doesnā€™t depend on what is in each record. Ā The online version of endnote does not have this featureĀ (Comparison of the two are here:Ā http://endnote.com/product-details/basic and near the bottom of the comparison list, ā€œJournal Abbreviation recognition & standardizationā€ is only present in the desktop version.)

The desktop feature is described in great detail here: Ā http://endnote.com/kb/82228

Thanks Leanne for clarrifying that it is impossible to change it in endnoteweb. I knew about the option to change it in the desktop version, so it made sense to me, to have that option in the webversion as well. But then again, I would have no reason to buy the desktop version, if the free webversion is complete. :slight_smile:

I will now abbreviate the journal names manually in my endnote database, they are not many, so I can do that.

Best