Link style name does not exist

Herllo,

I have recently upgraded to Endnote X7 and Word 2013. I have created my own Output style on previous versions, whcih I transferred to the Styles folder (…\Program Files (x86)\EndNote X7\Styles) and turned on it Output Styles. It is appearing as an option in Endnote and Word.

However, whenever I insert or update a citation, I get an error message: “The Link Style name does not exist or is of an incorrect type” and the citation does not appear in the list of references. This an output style that has been successfully used in previous versions of both Endnote and Word, and I cannot work what I’ve done differently this time.

Any suggestions as to what the problem might be and how to fix it are most welcome.

Thanks.

Sam.

Sam,

Try to open the style In EndNote and edit it.  Does it allow you to edit it?  If it doesn’t please try to copy another version of the style and then do a SAVE AS so that it saves a new version of the style–you don’t have to do anything but add a few spaces in the Style Descritpion area.

If you are still having issues with the file please post it here so I can take a look.

Thanks,

Cheryl - The EndNote Team

Thanks Cheryl.

I couldn’t save the edited copy. I have the master saved on a network drive, and was trying to copy it across to my hard drive. I deleted the copy I had on my drive, and copied the master one again, with the same probelm.

When I changed the the directory to go directly to the master, I was able to edit it and save as, so it seems that the master is not corrupt, but the act of me copying and pasting it to my hard drive is corrupting it. I tried changing the directory path back to my hard drive, then doing Save As, but it still wouldn’t save. I finally created a new Styles folder on my hard drive, tried to save a copy in there, and that worked.

However, after all that, when I updated the bibliography in the document, I got the same error message. I tried changing the the style to one of the inbuilt Endnote ones, and again the same message, which is making me think that there is something wrong with the document itself? We have in-house templates that we work from, and they seem to be all doing it. If I use a normal blank document in Word, I have no problems.

Cheers,

Sam.

Hi 

I’ve got the same problem. Just upgraded to EN v7 from v4 over the weekend and now it’s got the error message. 

How can I resolve this? 

Best wishes,

Wendy 

FYI - I fixed it. 

Ended up going back to EN v4 and there’s no longer a problem. 

I solved this issue. Not sure if it’s a true solution or the only one, but this is what worked for me.

Sam, because you mentioned you are using company templates, I’m guessing the templates have specified approved styles and that there’s some kind of document protection that prevents users from modifying styles, like “Restrict Editing” features. This was my case. Our templates have a bibliography style, which has more granularity for line spacing than that offered by EN. However, EN wants to impose its bibliography style (EN bibliography) on any newly added citations. If you enter new references, then click “Update citations”, it seems that restricting styles that are autoupdating stops the process from continuing and chucks up that error message.

My solution: Remove all style restrictions from the document.

1. Display Developer tab (if not already displayed).
  2. From the Protect pane, click “Restrict Editing”.
  3. Remove any restrictions (uncheck boxes).
  4. Click EN’s Update citations.
1 Like

I also get this error using EndNote X8 with Word 2016. “The Link syle name does not exist or is of an incorrect type.” I tried to previous suggestion to re-download the style and save it over top the old version. I can’t update the citations in Word usign any style though, this error comes up no matter what style I choose.

I also get this error using EndNote X8 with Word 2016. “The Link syle name does not exist or is of an incorrect type.” I tried to previous suggestion to re-download the style and save it over top the old version. I can’t update the citations in Word usign any style though, this error comes up no matter what style I choose.