Modifying a style gives weird error

I’m a first time user of Endnote, and i’m having some real problems with the styles options. I’m trying to use a slightly modified version of the Tectonophysics style. However, as soon as i modify a style and apply it to a reference, the reference ends up with 4 copies of the title of the journal.

This is the style string i have for Tectonophysics under Bibliography/Templates:
Author, Year. Title|. Journal| Volume|(Issue)|, Pages|.
(note: there are those weird little non-dependant space diamonds in front of journal, volume and pages).

If i understand it correctly, that should format a reference to read (for example):
Tavarnelli, E., 1999. Normal faults in thrust sheets: pre-orogenic extension, post-orogenic extension, or both? Journal of Structural Geology 21, 1011-1018.

However, it is outputting it as:
Tavarnelli, E., 1999Normal faults in thrust sheets: pre-orogenic extension, post-orogenic extension, or both? Normal faults in thrust sheets: pre-orogenic extension, post-orogenic extension, or both?Normal faults in thrust sheets: pre-orogenic extension, post-orogenic extension, or both? Journal of Structural Geology 21 1011-1018Normal faults in thrust sheets: pre-orogenic extension, post-orogenic extension, or both?

Any ideas?

Attach your style and some of us can look at it?  That is a really weird output.  I assume it works okay (and isn’t a library phenomenon) with another style?

Please also note what version of Endnote and Patch, and what Word processing software and version you are using…

Thank you for the reply. I don’t have access to the PC that i’m using EndNote on until tomorrow, so i shall do as requested then.

Here is the style that i’m trying to use. I am running EndNote X1.0.1 build 2682 and Word 2007, although i haven’t used Word with it at all yet, i’m still trying to get the reference looking correct in EndNote first. Other styles work fine until i try and modify them, when they start doing the same thing as the output i pasted in my OP.

Message Edited by Lung on 11-13-2008 09:42 AM
Tectonophysics.ens (12.7 KB)

Your style had “Short Title” field in the Bibliography Template for Journal Article.

When Short Title is empty in your database entry, Title will replaces it.

I removed the Short Title and it worked just fine. I don’t know why Short Title got into it.

Try this modified style, and it should work.

Tectonophysics_mod.ens (12.4 KB)

Thanks very much, that works a treat, apart from it won’t let me put a full stop (period) after the year, and after the title, and after the pages. If I put a comma, it works fine, but if I put a full stop it doesn’t show anything, it just has a space.

In the bibliography template definition, puncuations (period comma etc) adjacent to the filed (year, page, title, etc) are dependent on the field entry, which means, if the field doesn’t have an entry, the punctuation does not appear in the formatted bibligraphy. If you need to separate the punctuation, you need to have “I” (forced separation) after the field.

It seems you have tweaked this particular style, so I don’t have a specific comment where you should put the “I” in your style. I suggest to check the effect of “I” by adding and removing from your bibliography template, then find what fits your demand.

Best regards,

That’s what i don’t really understand though, the fields each have an entry, and commas work fine, but full stops simply aren’t shown. Even if I put Pages|. at the very end of the template, I still don’t get a full stop after the page numbers. It is the same problem with the years and title fields, both have entries yet niether will place a full stop after them, whether the full stop is inside the field, or at the beginning of the next field and seperated by a |

That’s really weid. I added period after Page with forced separation, and after Year and Title without forced separation. It’s working here.

Message Edited by myoshigi on 11-13-2008 06:28 AM
Tectonophysics_mod2.ens (12.6 KB)

That’s perfect, thank you very much. I reallly have no idea why it was refusing to display the full stops correctly.