Multiple in-text citations, formatting in X9

I’m using EN X9 in Word for Mac OS (High Sierra, 10.13.6) and using Harvard style for my citations and bibliography.

For in-text lists of multiple citations, every citation is enclosed in round brackets (Author, Year) and each is separated by a semi-colon.  The preferred format would be one of the following, which are the choices provided in the Harvard style template:

Bowman et al., (2003); Terras, (2006)

or

(Bowman et al., 2003; Terras, 2006)

not this:

(Bowman et al., 2003); (Terras, 2006)

I’ve tried editing the style in Edit>Output Styles>Edit"Harvard">Citations>Templates,

which provides a choice of either of the first two options above, but selecting either of them seems to have no effect on the way citations are displayed in the text. I only get the unwanted format above.

By the way, the Harvard style template has a typo in the Citation Template:  it says (Authorl; Year) instead of (Author, Year).

Sorry if this has been covered already, but I’ve searched the forums and looked through various other help menus, and I haven’t seen this problem discussed.

Just as a test, I tried switching the output style to the Journal of Archaeological Science, and it gives a strange result for the bibliography:  instead of listing references in alphabetical order based on the surnames of the first author, it lists them in the order in which they’re cited in the text.  Also, the style doesn’t include any hanging indent in the bibliography, so it’s extremely hard to read and doesn’t look like the style in the latest issue of the J Archaeological Science

Also, X9 still puts round brackets around every citation in a list of in-text citations, even though that’s not how the style is described in Edit>Output Styles>Edit"J Archaeological Science">Citations>Templates.  If I edit or attempt to make any corrections in the Word document, EN X9 simply changes everything back to the wrong format when it updates the citations and bibliography. 

(are you really seeing a semi colon between them?  or (Bowman et al., 2003) (Terras, 2006) and do the two independently turn “gray” when the cursor is in them?  If they are, 

This is usually caused by inserting each of the citations separately and having a space between them.  if you remove the space, they will join as you want them to be, when you import another citation or update citations and bibliography.  

(Bowman et al., 2003; Terras, 2006)

You also said:  

By the way, the Harvard style template has a typo in the Citation Template:  it says (Authorl; Year) instead of (Author, Year).

That is not a typo.  It is a “separate” character and prevents the loss of the trailing parenthesis if you didn’t have a year (which is pretty unlikely).  There is another special character the link adjacent, which is also critical in many cases, especially if it is adjacent to a field that may be or maynot be filled/used.  – it prevents random punctuation and spaces appearing even if the field is absent.  

Thanks, Leanne!

You’re right that I was leaving a space before I inserted the next citation in the list.  I found another way to enter them so they merge inside one pair of brackets, but simply leaving out the space is the easier way to do it, as you said.

Also, thanks for pointing out the separate character in the style template.  I’m new to EndNote (obviously).

Cheers!