No suitable import filter for Zotero library

I’m trying to export a Zotero library into EndNote but there are slight quirks with every option:

Refer/BibIX : extra junk added to the page field, no DOI in exported file.

Refer/BibIX imported with 'EndNote Import ’ filter : no DOI in exported file.

EndNote XML : Doesn’t pick up the journal issue (<issue> tag). Can’t edit this filter type.

Refworks : Separates page range into start and end page which EndNote can’t pick up on import. Is there a way to merge the two fields?

RIS : Notes section creates a duplicate DOI entry. Zotero bug means I can’t export without notes. I’ve modified the RIS filter in the meantime to ignore DOI in the notes however this is an annoying work around as I’ll have to get everyone to manually acquire and install this modification.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Could you provide exported Zotero sample records (10-20) - would like to see the tags in the text file against the import file.

Hi Gecko,

I’ve attached some export samples for RIS and XML. Let me know if you’d like to see more.

Thanks!

Julian

EDIT: I’ve renamed the .ris file to a .txt file so that I could upload it

Exported Items.xml (10 KB)
Exported Items RIS.txt (9.33 KB)

Thanks for the two files. As for the RIS file, the reason two DOIs were appearing after importing is because the Endnote import filter included two tags for the DOI data. The first tag was the standard tag (DOI) but the second tag was based on the Notes section’s “N1” tag (refer to image #1). To correct this, the Endnote import filter was modified to “IGNORE” importing the section of the N1 tag containing the DOI (refer to image #2) which prevents importing the second DOI into the DOI field.

The modified Endnote import filter is attached for your use/reference.

Will look at the exported Zotero XML file next. It might be problematic in that there might be issues in not only that file but the Endnote import filter (“Endnote generated XML“). If it’s the latter the developers did not make this import filter available for users to adjust.

RefMan RIS_jglenesk.enf (45.1 KB)

Thanks for the two files.  Failure to import the issue field from the XML file is due to a mismatch between the data tag and those of the import filter; and the duplicate DOI field in the RIS file is due to a second tag from the N1 section which can be easily addressed by modifying the import filter.

EndNote XML: Doesn’t pick up the journal issue (<issue> tag).

Endnote’s Journal Article reference template contains the generic field “Number” and the defined “Issue” field. Examining the exported Zotero XML file shows it incorporates the “Issue” field tag (refer to image #1 ). So one would expect the file be imported using the “Endnote generated XML” import filter. However, the import fails, suggesting there is something wrong with the “issue” field tag in the “Endnote generated XML” import filter.

To test this, the exported Zotero XML file was edited to replace the “Issue” field tag with Endnote’s generic “Number” field tag. The file was resaved then imported using the “Endnote generated XML” import filter. The importing of the field was successful. (Refer to image #2.) The Endnote developers prevent users from accessing and modifying the “Endnote generated XML” import filter. So the only workaround is to manually edit the exported XML file to incorporate the “Number” field tags. I use Adobe Dreamweaver to edit XML files but there are free editors available for downloading. You can also contact tech support to notify them of the problem and ask for assistance in converting files as needed:
https://support.clarivate.com/Endnote/s/technicalsupport?language=en_US

RIS: Notes section creates a duplicate DOI entry.

As for the RIS file, the reason two DOIs were appearing after importing is because the Endnote import filter included two tags for the DOI data. The first tag was the standard tag (DI) but the second tag was based on the Notes section’s “N1” tag. The Endnote import filter to be modified to either delete line entry or specify to “IGNORE” the section of the N1 tag containing the DOI (which prevents importing the second DOI into the DOI field).

Of the two workarounds, it seems the easiest is to distribute the modified Refman RIS import filter to your users ( copy attached ) unless tech support can address the XML tag issue so users won’t have to modify files each time they want to import…

To install the import filter : 1) download the import filter to the desktop; 2) Double-click the filter file to open in EndNote; 3)In EndNote, click “File Menu” and choose “Save as”. Remove the word “copy” and click “Save”; 4) Click on “File Menu” and choose “Close Filter”.

Refer to the Endnote training video “Importing Text Files” for further information      
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx7BKX0u7y0

RefMan RIS_jglenesk.enf (45.1 KB)