Patent writing (in-line citation)

Hi,

I’m writing a patent. But the citation in patent is generally in-line; which means instead of journals citation where you can put author’s name and year, for the patent document the whole paper information need to be in the same line (not in the reference list). But I am having difficulties to find apporiate library in the endnote to do in-line citation.

Please see the following example regarding what I want to do using endnote:

In the United States, 12,000 spinal cord injuries occur every year (Cripps RA, Lee BB, Wing P, Weerts E, Mackay J, Brown D “A global map for traumatic spinal cord injury epidemiology: towards a living data repository for injury prevention”. Spinal Cord, 2011 49:493-501)

INSTEAD OF:

In the United States, 12,000 spinal cord injuries occur every year (Cripps et al., 2011)

Reference

Cripps RA, Lee BB, Wing P, Weerts E, Mackay J, Brown D (2011) A global map for traumatic spinal cord injury epidemiology: towards a living data repository for injury prevention. Spinal Cord 49:493-501.

Thank you and best regards,

Monzurul

It it is only patents that you want cited in this way, there is only one way I know of to achieve this, if you have other conventional citations in the document.  That is to insert the patent citations with different delimiters (like square instead of the usual curley brackets).  The normal citations go in by default with curley brackets (and turn off CWYW so you can change the curley to square brackets for your patent cites).  

then you format the document normally with your output style with normal citations and bibliography.  Then you remove field codes to lock in those citations and change output style and the temporary delimiters to an output style that has a citation template reflecting the needs of the patent citations, and no bibliography templates.  

then submit the document to the journal/publisher!  – go back to the document with the temporary citations for any revisions and repeat the process.  

But if all the citations need to be in line, then – you just need to construct the output style to have blank bibliography and the details in the citation template.  Are you only using one kind of reference type (journal?) or multiple ref types that may vary in content in the template?  You need to use the generic fields not the ref type specific fields.