Problems with multi source citations

Hello,

I use the chemistry output style.

I have problems with multi source citations:

EndNote uses ranges for consecutive citations: “…was first investigated by Weix and MacMillan.[1-5]”

But also for two citations: “…was first investigated by Weix and MacMillan.[1-2]”

I want ranges for consecutive citations: “…was first investigated by Weix and MacMillan.[1-5]”

But a comma between two citations: “…was first investigated by Weix and MacMillan.[1,2]”

Can someone help me?

The Chemistry style is unique in not only will it do numbered citations like [1] or [1-3]. The style is also able to do a Composite Citation for references always cited together like [1a, b, 2a-c].

The requirment to do Composite Citations is what prevents the style from producing a citation like [1, 2]

If you want to use the Chemistry style and do not need Composite Citations you can edit the style and the modified version would do ranges for more than three references together and also be able to do a citation like [1, 2]

In EndNote you can go to Edit > Output Styles > Open Style Manager > locate the style you are using > Click Edit > go to Numbering under Citations > here uncheck the boxes for Composite Citations and Grouped References > go To File > Save As > (EndNote will not allow you to change the existing style in EndNote but will always apply the change to a copy of the style) Click Save to save the changes to a copy of the style > close the style window.

You could then use the modified version in your document.

If you need help with the steps or have additional questions you can also contact Technical Support.

1-800-336-4474 option 4 then 1

or

https://endnote.com/contact/