Separating media citations by date of publication

Hi everyone,

I’m having a problem with Endnote X.0.2 that I’ve been playing with for the last hour, but to no avail.  The problem occurs when I need to use citations from TV programs that are the same except for having different dates.  

The formatting I’m using for both the footnotes and bibliography is as follows:

Director, Title (|Country: Distributor, Date Released Year Released|)|, Medium|.

The problem I’m having is that the citation works properly for the first occurance of a show, for instance:

CNN, CNN Late Edition with Wolf Blitzer (20 January 2002).

However, in subsequent citations, even for those on other days with independent entries in my Endnote library, in this instance the 21st of January, I only get the following as a citation:

CNN, CNN Late Edition with Wolf Blitzer.

And there is only one entry in the bibliography corresponding the first date.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get Endnote to differentiate between two different dates that have two different entries in the library?  I don’t have a lot of experience playing with the formatting, so it could be something simple, but I’d appreciate any help people could offer.  

Thanks!

• Vincent

What field is the “date” in?  I think that it all has to be in the equivalent of the Year field in Journal?  To uniquely identify “duplicate” records, Endnote considers the Author, title, year criteria.  In your example.  the Day information is not being considered, so they look like duplicates to Endnote. 

I don’t know if the “duplicate” matching for generating citations/references in a manuscript uses the same criteria as the duplicate screen when importing references.  You could try to modify your preferences, for duplicate settings to include the field you used for the day (if it is there) and see if it solves your problem.  Otherwise, you should modify the year field to include the day? 

Hi - many thanks for your reply.  I was unaware that it was only those three fields used to sort out duplicates.  As it turned out, when I included the full date in the ‘year’ field, it worked.

Thanks!

• Vincent