Short form not consistent with template

Hi!

I’m using Endnote X8 with Word 2016. I use the Chicago 16th footnote style, but I have tweaked it a little to get it in norwegian and to incorporate the changes in Chicago 17th. One of the differences between 16th and 17th, is that you are no longer supposed to use ibid. and similar kinds of abbreviations, but short forms of the reference instead. 

Under “Footnotes”->“Repeated Citations” in the style editor, I have ticked the boxes “Use short form” under “If the same reference repeats in consecutive citations” and “No special handling” under “If the same source repeats in consecutive citations”. 

The problem is that even though the short form footnote template for books reads “Author, Short Title|, Cited Pages|.”, the author doesn’t show up in my footnote - only the title and page number. How can I fix this? 

So you will need to adjust another setting in your custom style.

In EndNote you can go to Edit > Output Styles > Open Style Manager > locate the style you are using > Click Edit > go to Author Lists under Footnotes > here you will see a setting For Subsequent Works by the Same Author you will need to change the setting to Print the author list as defined above > you would then go to File and Save.

You should then be able to Update the Citations and Bibliography in the document to apply that change to the document which should then show the author name in the short form.

Worked perfectly! Thank you!

I am glad that I was able to help.

Please let us know if you have any more questions.