Sitemap | EndNote
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Guru

Re: Style needed, Format [Mey09]

You may not lose the link information even after export and import, if you use absolute paths to PDFs. The problem to export to excel is, it can't export authors and keywords, which contain carriage return, into multiple data cells. Then, this scheme can't solve the requests, such as, 2 letters from the first author, 2 letters from the second author, if the authors are two....etc etc kind of stuff.

To be able to accomplish such tasks perfectly, all the authors should be registered in individual data cells, with dynamic array size (in the programming world). I have done data export/import between Endnote and the native programming language called Labview, which allows me almost any kind of text tweaking. But, for that, you need Labview or somebody who has it. If you are interested, let me know.

Guru

Well, I'm not in Germany and I don't need this particular author heading myself, but I just wrote a small Labview code to break down Endnote Export text file into each element, register authors and keywords into array format (indexable data cells), and import other field data into individual fields. This is totally outside of Endnote, but as you can see, the German style author heading is possible in "Synthetic Field 2" data field. By the way, somebody wanted senior author, so I made "Synthetic Field 1" as senior (last) author data.

I wrote this code to achieve the requirement these guys (in Germany) are talking.

1 author: take first 4 letters of the last name.

2 author: take 2 letters from each author.

3 author: take 2 letters from the first author, take 1 letter from second and third author.

4 authors and more: take 1 letter from the first 4 authors.

Then add year (last two digits)

I'm making this Labview code to make an output file that is compatible with Endnote Import, such that, after import, these "synthetic fields" are accomodated in the field of choice. But, I can't override record number of individual record, which is pretty much untouchable in Endnote.

If you are interested, I can burn executable (.exe) files, but easiest way to distribute this code for free is to have some friends who have Labview, and I can send native .vi (virtual instrument) format with e-mail. In either case, there will be several megabytes transfer, and I can't do that through forum. Labview is very common software in engineering/bioengineering science used for signal processing, data acquisition, and machine vision, so you may ask your friends around.

Best regards,

Highlighted
Guru

Since I can't attach more than three files in one post, the last one (4 author case) is attached here.

This code can read a Endnote Export text file which contains several thousands of records, and successfully recover path links to attachment when imported back to Endnote libraray. Record numbers will be all new. Limitations are: it doesn't work if paths are multiple lines. It doesn't work well with custom fields. But most of the purpose I'm using (such as searching keywords with senior author), it's just fine.