Style templates collection

SGGS1 Ap_Jo_Vol_(Yr)_Page -J Molecular Catalysis.ens
1.         Morehouse, S.I., R.S. Tung, Journal of Paleontology 17 (1993) 198-209.
2.         Billoski, T.V., Introduction to Paleontology, 6th ed., Institutional Press, New York, 1992.
3.         Schwartz, M.T., T.V. Billoski, in: B.T. Jones, N.V. Lovecraft (Eds.), Extinction, Barnes and Ellis, New York, 1990, pp. 175-189.

SGGS1_Ti_Jo Ital_Vol_Page_Yr -AJP Old.ens
1.         Billoski, T. V. Introduction to Paleontology. New York: Institutional Press, 1992.
2.         Morehouse, S. I., and R. S. Tung. Statistical evidence for early extinction of reptiles due to the K/T event. Journal of Paleontology. 17: 198-209, 1993.
3.         Schwartz, M. T., and T. V. Billoski. Greenhouse hypothesis: effect on dinosaur extinction. In: Extinction. edited by Jones, B. T., and N. V. Lovecraft, New York: Barnes and Ellis, 1990, p. 175-189.

SGGS1_Yr_Ti_Jo Ital_Vol_Page -Accounting and Finance.ens
Billoski, T. V., 1992, Introduction to Paleontology (Institutional Press, New York).
Morehouse, S. I., and R. S. Tung, 1993, Statistical evidence for early extinction of reptiles due to the K/T event, Journal of Paleontology 17, 198-209.
Schwartz, M. T., and T. V. Billoski, 1990, Greenhouse hypothesis: effect on dinosaur extinction, in B. T. Jones and N. V. Lovecraft eds, Extinction (Barnes and Ellis, New York) 175-189.

SGGS1_Yr_Ti_Jo_Vol Bold_Page -Ecology.ens
Billoski, T. V. 1992. Introduction to Paleontology. 6th edition. Institutional Press, New York.
Morehouse, S. I. and R. S. Tung. 1993. Statistical evidence for early extinction of reptiles due to the K/T event. Journal of Paleontology 17:198-209.
Schwartz, M. T. and T. V. Billoski. 1990. Greenhouse hypothesis: effect on dinosaur extinction. Pages 175-189 in B. T. Jones and N. V. Lovecraft, editors. Extinction. Barnes and Ellis, New York.

SGGS1_Yr_Ti_Jo_Vol_Page -Systematic Biol.ens
Billoski, T. V. 1992. Introduction to Paleontology, 6th edition. Institutional Press, New York.
Morehouse, S. I., and R. S. Tung. 1993. Statistical evidence for early extinction of reptiles due to the K/T event. Journal of Paleontology 17:198-209.
Schwartz, M. T., and T. V. Billoski. 1990. Greenhouse hypothesis: effect on dinosaur extinction. Pages 175-189 in Extinction (B. T. Jones, and N. V. Lovecraft, eds.). Barnes and Ellis, New York.

SGGS2 Ap_(Yr)_Ti_Jo_Vol_Page -Stem Cells and Dev.ens
1.         Morehouse SI and RS Tung. (1993). Statistical evidence for early extinction of reptiles due to the K/T event. Journal of Paleontology 17:198-209.
2.         Billoski TV. Introduction to Paleontology. (1992). Institutional Press, New York.
3.         Schwartz MT and TV Billoski. (1990). Greenhouse hypothesis: effect on dinosaur extinction. In: Extinction. BT Jones and NV Lovecraft, eds. Barnes and Ellis, New York, pp 175-189.

1 Like

If you notice any errors in the examples, please send me a private message, so I can edit it -rather than posting to the forum. 

thanks!

Message Edited by Leanne on 02-27-2009 08:43 AM

1 Like

hello i am new out here 

can any one help me here 

i have some problems regarding styling based on the format for Journal Articles.

please help me here 

Message Edited by karankuna15 on 10-12-2009 10:04 AM

Hard to help without a specific question.

Thank you so much, Real help, Samuel, Bangalore India

PS, I have downloaded all the files in your posts, if you have any other style please inform

All right, this concludes posting my collection of style templates (second time). I know doing this kind of thing is a little bit (very?) maniac, but I found it’s now really easy to find good templates as long as I know how journal article ought to be formatted. Most of the cases, I don’t need to tweak them at all. Thomson probably doesn’t need 4000 styles for every possible journal. Sixty or so basic templates are enough to cover >90% of journals, particularly English-based journals (90% is my estimate).

Additionally, if links to these attachments are broken again, I’d ask somebody to keep them on their websites and make HTML links. I am willing to share as long as somebody find them useful. So, please let me know if your librarians/university are interested. Apparently, Thomson is not interested, and my university’s library also doesn’t show interest.

Best regards, and happy bibliography formatting!

I have to write a dissertation but my university doesn’t tell me what style name I should follow. Luckily, they give me the examples below:

In the in-text citation, I must follow like this:

In 1939, Edmond, one of the greatest criminologists in France, suggested that lip prints play a very important role in forensic sciences [3], …

In the REFERENCE list, I must follow like this:

1. Vahanwala S.P. and Parekh B.K. (2000); “Study on lip prints as an aid to forensic methodology”, Journal of Indian Dental association, 71(1), pp. 268-271.

Do you happen to know such  type of style name ? Please help me.

This style is close to Harvard, but details are little different from the one I have in this collection.

I quickly modified, SG1_(Yr)_Ti Quot_Jo Ital_Vol(No)_p Page which is based on Harvard so that punctuation etc matches with the one you need. I still need the info from you , if this is “appearance order” or “author+year” order in the in-text citation, but I assumed it is appearance order, because you need a number before the reference.

so check the attached, and let me know if this works for you.

Message Edited by myoshigi on 01-08-2010 06:45 AM
SG1 Ap_(Yr)_Ti Quot_Jo Ital_Vol(No)_p Page -Harvard mod.ens (11 KB)

1 Like

Wierd that you talk about Edmond in 1939, but then quote an entirely different reference, but okay…

Other pieces of information are required. 

I am assuming that you need these in order of appearance and and not in alphabetically listed (but numbered). 

You also need to know how books and edited books are referenced.  Then you can peruse the rest of the examples in this thread, pick the closest (IEEE looks close but not perfect).  It is pertty unusual, with pp for Journal pages… Also, your example has the journal name in full, so you may need to ensure that you import a Journal terms list that will convert any abbreviated journal names in your library to full journal names.  Instructions for that can be found here: http://www.library.uq.edu.au/endnote/journal_terms.html.

Once you have something close, you can post the style here, and others can help you tweek it, if you provide the requirements in more detail. 

snap Masaaki,

the attachement below: SG1 Ap_(Yr)_Ti Quot_Jo Ital_Vol(No)_p Page -Harvard mod.ens 

Produces:

[1] Morehouse S. I. and Tung R. S. (1993); “Statistical evidence for early extinction of reptiles due to the K/T event”, Journal of   Paleontology, 17(2), pp. 198-209.

[2] Billoski T. V. (1992); Introduction to Paleontology, Institutional Press, New York.

[3] Schwartz M. T. and Billoski T. V. (1990); “Greenhouse hypothesis: effect on dinosaur extinction”, in Jones, B. T. and Lovecraft, N. V. (Eds.) Extinction, Barnes and Ellis, New York, pp. 175-189.

1 Like

oh, yes. it was added to the “collection”!

Masaaki, a collection freak, aka myoshigi

ps btw I never felt comfortable to have myoshigi as a user name (so much regretted), and making a transition to a different touch.

Leanne, just sent you a PM regarding the problems am facing.

Attached is my output style for the Journal of NeuroAnatomy.  Please rename attached file to conventions if desired.
FrontiersInNeuroanatomy.ens (11.2 KB)

1 Like

Hi,

I have an format used by my University here that I’m trying to convince EndNote to do, but it getting odd.

This is the format:

Reference format for journal

[ref] <autor>. “<title>”, <journal>, vol. <volume-issue>, <month year>, <pages>.

[BER01]  Bergamaschi, R. A.; Bhattacharya, S.; Wagner, R.; Fellenz, C.; Muhlada, M.; White, F.;

Daveau, J. M.; Lee, W. R. "Automating the design of SOCs

Any help will be very appreciatted

Thank you in advance

Andre L Silva

Porto Alegre, Brazil

probably way too late, but I just saw this request.  This thread discusses two other threads that might have helped you…

@earthen wrote:

I can resove this problem. Please contact me by phone message: +86-15365315752

and the rest of us will usually sort it for free! 

Pardon?  I am an Endnote user and not affiliated with this or any software.  I have no  rivals.  Just don’t understand why you are selling your services when this is a selfhelp forum. 

As a reminder that this resource is available, I am bumping this up.  As you scroll up or down (- depending on how you organize your threads)  – there are attachments of various output styles that a former forum participant created, and then I added examples of the output.  You can puruse these - find one close to your needed output style that doesn’t already exist as a stand-alone style, and download and save it in endnote and tweak from there, if needed.  – Note, that none of these is likely to include DOIs as they were not as commonly included in those “olden days” of a a couple of years ago!

Also for additional styles: See FAQ CWYW 28 – 

Endnote online: Creating new output styles or modifying existing styles

If an Output Style is missing or needs updating to match the publisher requirements, you can submit a request through our EndNote Request Form:

http://endnote.com/info/output-style-request

You can use this forum to submit your request for the creation of a new output style (or the modification of an existing one). When you submit this information, your request is brought to the attention of our Content Group. Once the style is created or updated, it will be submitted for inclusion into EndNote online.

The local EndNote online Administrators also have the ability to update Styles for their site if EndNote online access is provided by Web of Knowledge. If you have EndNote online access (formally known as Endnote Web)  through your institution, you can contact your local Administrator to update existing Styles or upload new Styles.

the orginal email with the naming conventions for the collection in this thread  is copied here:

(This is re-posting of a 2008 message from a former active member of the forum)

Hello Endnote community,

I recently sorted some output styles based on the format for Journal Articles, and renamed them such that I can find similar style template fast. In the following messages, I will attach these style files to share with you. They are all originally from Endnote website, or came with Endnote.

The followings are file naming rules I came up with.

1. File names start with either SG, GS, or SGGS, which indicates how author is formatted.

SG1: Surname-Given name order, Initial with periods, like Smith A.

SG2: Surname-Given name order, Initial without periods, like Smith A

GS1: Given name-Surname order, Initial with periods, like A. Smith

GS2: Given name-Surname order, Initial without periods, like A Smith

SGGS: SG for the first author, GS for the following authors, like Smith A, J Doe, W Gates, S Jobs, …

1. If Ap follows after SG/GS, that means the bibliography sort order is Appearance order. Otherwise, sort order is Author+Year.

2. Title, Journal, Volume, Number/Issue are abbreviated as follows.

Title: Ti

Year: Yr

Journal: Jo

Volume: Vol

Number/Issue: No

1. Bold, Italic, colon, or parenthesis are also indicated in the file name, but separators like period, comma, and colon are disregarded. This is because these separators do not fit well in Windows file system, and also because they can be switched/added very easily.

2. Major journals or organizations that employ the format will be indicated at the end, such as:

SG1 Ap_Ti_Jo Ital_Vol Bold_Page_(Yr) -Nature

SG1_(Yr)_Ti_Jo Ital_Vol(No)_Page -APA 5th

1. Journal abbreviation option has all been changed to “Don’t replace”. This is due to a personal reason because my library has both full name (ex. Journal of Chemistry) and abbreviated name (ex. J Chem) in “Full Journal” filed. Using abbreviation option makes very inconsistent output (for my library).

I hope this thread helps some people looking for styles that are not immediately available in Endnote website, but willing to modify from close templates.

Best regards,

Original posted date: 10/27/2008

Hi all, hope all of you are fine

I am a newbie here and want the follwing format for reference in endnote. This is the requirement for International journal for applied research

(A) first author’s initials followed by the last name; (B) additional authors are listed in the order in which they appear in the original work; (C) title of article (no subtitles) in lower case; (D) Journal abbreviation; (E) volume number, followed by a colon; (F) inclusive page numbers of article; (G) year of publication in parentheses.

Example:  1. B.K. Logan and S. Distefano. Ethanol content of various foods and soft drinks and their potential for interference with a breath-alcohol test. J. Anal. Toxicol. 22: 181–183 (1998).

anyhelp will be much appreciated or i’ll have to manually enter the references.

Best Regards

As a reminder that this resource is available, I am bumping this up.  As you scroll up or down (- depending on how you organize your threads)  – there are attachments of various output styles that a former forum participant created, and then I added examples of the output.  You can puruse these - find one close to your needed output style that doesn’t already exist as a stand-alone style, and download and save it in endnote and tweak from there, if needed.  – Note, that none of these is likely to include DOIs as they were not as commonly included in those “olden days” of a a couple of years ago!

Also for additional styles: See FAQ CWYW 28 – or http://endnote.com/kb/101407

Endnote online: Creating new output styles or modifying existing styles

If an Output Style is missing or needs updating to match the publisher requirements, you can submit a request through our EndNote Request Form:

http://endnote.com/info/output-style-request

You can use this forum to submit your request for the creation of a new output style (or the modification of an existing one). When you submit this information, your request is brought to the attention of our Content Group. Once the style is created or updated, it will be submitted for inclusion into EndNote online.

The local EndNote online Administrators also have the ability to update Styles for their site if EndNote online access is provided by Web of Knowledge. If you have EndNote online access (formally known as Endnote Web)  through your institution, you can contact your local Administrator to update existing Styles or upload new Styles.

the orginal email with the naming conventions for the collection in this thread  is copied here:

(This is re-posting of a 2008 message from a former active member of the forum)

Hello Endnote community,

I recently sorted some output styles based on the format for Journal Articles, and renamed them such that I can find similar style template fast. In the following messages, I will attach these style files to share with you. They are all originally from Endnote website, or came with Endnote.

The followings are file naming rules I came up with.

1. File names start with either SG, GS, or SGGS, which indicates how author is formatted.

SG1: Surname-Given name order, Initial with periods, like Smith A.

SG2: Surname-Given name order, Initial without periods, like Smith A

GS1: Given name-Surname order, Initial with periods, like A. Smith

GS2: Given name-Surname order, Initial without periods, like A Smith

SGGS: SG for the first author, GS for the following authors, like Smith A, J Doe, W Gates, S Jobs, …

1. If  Ap  follows after SG/GS, that means the bibliography sort order is Appearance order. Otherwise, sort order is Author+Year.

2. Title, Journal, Volume, Number/Issue are abbreviated as follows.

Title: Ti

Year: Yr

Journal: Jo

Volume: Vol

Number/Issue: No

1. Bold, Italic, colon, or parenthesis are also indicated in the file name, but separators like period, comma, and colon are disregarded. This is because these separators do not fit well in Windows file system, and also because they can be switched/added very easily.

2. Major journals or organizations that employ the format will be indicated at the end, such as:

SG1 Ap_Ti_Jo Ital_Vol Bold_Page_(Yr) -Nature

SG1_(Yr)_Ti_Jo Ital_Vol(No)_Page -APA 5th

1. Journal abbreviation option has all been changed to “Don’t replace”. This is due to a personal reason because my library has both full name (ex. Journal of Chemistry) and abbreviated name (ex. J Chem) in “Full Journal” filed. Using abbreviation option makes very inconsistent output (for my library).

I hope this thread helps some people looking for styles that are not immediately available in Endnote website, but willing to modify from close templates.

Best regards,

Original posted date: 10/27/2008

Greetings from Salt Lake City, UT USA

Oh my gosh…how are you all doing!!!

It’s been almost 4 years since last post, and I’m super glad the style collection is still here (not sure how much useful anymore, but at least they haven’t been deleted !!).

I’m writing a review article which would have ~100 references, so EN is once again very useful!

EN’s been changed so much, but I’m still kind of old school. I’m using X7 (skipped several beta testings), but my colleagues around here still call me as ‘Endnote GURU’.

Anyway, I wanted to post something to say hello!!

Best regards,

Masaaki Yoshigi a.k.a myoshigi

University of Utah

1 Like