Substitute a field in an output style

I would like to create a template which outputs an ‘*’ when the field is not blank.  That is, I want to suppress the contents of Custom 8 and instead output an *.

Is that possible?  I haven’t figured out how to do it.

Thanx

Tim

So in the reference type (e.g., Journal Article), if Custom 8 is “blank”, an asterick would need to be placed in the field. Then to output the asterick (*) adjust the applicable bibliography template of the output style you’re using by inserting the “Custom 8” field to the template.

I could be more specific but could you provide a sample output to show how you want it to look; and identify the output style you’re using.

I using X5 for mac and turabian output style.  I use custom 8 to not if I have read the work, etc.  I want to output an asterisk if the custom 8 field is ‘not’ blank, that is, if I have read it.  I put ‘Read’, ‘Reviewed’, ‘Reference’, etc. in the custom 8 field, but all I care about is if anything is in the field, output an asterisk.

If read …

Baker, J. Wayne. Heinrich Bullinger and the Covenant : The Other Reformed Tradition. Athens, Ohio: Ohio University Press, 1980. *

or 

If not read …

Baker, J. Wayne. Heinrich Bullinger and the Covenant : The Other Reformed Tradition. Athens, Ohio: Ohio University Press, 1980.

I am using the Layout, “End each reference with:” and then Custom 8, but I don’t want to display the text, just an asterisk when the field is ‘not’ blank.

Thanx

Tim

In X6 anyway (maybe X5 too) there are some substitution options in the bibliography,  but none would help you here.  Your best option is to find all the records that have something in them and edit another fields to contain a * for those records (using the Change, Move, Copy tool) once they are selected and showing.  Then use that custom field.    

A problem  arises from combining multiple responss (Read, Reviewed, Reference, and “blank”) in a single field as EndNote’s programming features at the user end at present doexn’t allow such parsing.

But since you want an asterick to appear only for unread references,suggest dedicating a different custom field (7). Then enter an asterick in the reference’s custom field and modify the output style to display Custom 7. If the field is blank then it indicates the reference was accorded a different classiication.