Tips and Tricks: Font and paragraph formatting in Endnote Bibliography References.

Please don’t post in this thread - START A NEW ONE! –

Not all of this is applicable to all versions of endnote.  This was written circa X and X2.  for example, in X4, the bibliography doesn’t necessarily  pick up the paragraph style of the last paragraph.  Don’t know when they adjusted that… In X7 endnote generates a “Endnote Bibliography” style in the word template of the specific document.  This makes it relatively easy to edit a paragraph in the bibliography reference list to look the way you want it to look, and then to update the “endnote bibliography” style in word to match that paragraph (edit the paragraph settings, then right click, syles, update style to match").  See this thread for further information. (This no longer works in 7.2.1, you can edit it, but it will be overwriten the next time the bibliography is updated.  No word on why this undocumented behavior was changed.)  

There are multiple places that font and paragraph setting can be applied in Endnote and in the word processed document.  When EndNote creates a bibliography, text in Plain Font and Plain Size (see below for more details) uses the font and size of your paper, UNLESS these are over-ridden by settings elsewhere, such as in the record, the style, or in the Format Bibliography Layout sections.

Often, when a bibliography is created, Endnote adopts the paragraph and font settings that are contained in the last paragraph mark of the word document.  If for example, this is Bold, because you set the previous paragraph as “References” and bolded it and then hit return. or if there is no paragraph symbol after the bolded heading “References”.  If you select the whole of the references including paragraph symbols before and after the formatted references (just to be sure) and unbold everything and then reformat the paper, I think you will find that the appropriate bolding of specific sections will be restored.  Alternatively delete the bibliography and make sure there is a  paragraph after the title heading is not bolded and is not a “heading” paragraph type (body text or normal). (Note added: This is true for most font information, but it does not appear to adopt the paragraph settings.)

Or if you have forced the document (by selected text and manually apply format Helvetica, when the true underlying document “normal” font is New Times Roman, and that is still the information that that the last paragraph symbol contains).  To fix these, you can usually select the entire Bibliography AND the paragraph symbol and set them to the font and size you want.  [To see the paragraph symbols, you can click on the reverse P in the word toolbar, which is right in front of the % view box or show “all” formatting marks, or “show paragraph marks” in the Tools, options dialog, in the view tab. Then reformat the Bibliography, to reapply any symbols that might be included in your reference titles.] 

Always remember, that if you manually “unformat” refererences, you need to manually reengage CWYW from the format bibliography window, from the third tab after you have the document behaving as you wish.   

Below are the other places that the user can force specific font, style and size settings, and specific handling of paragraph settings such as line spacing and indenting. 

Font, Text Style, and Size in the Records

EndNote is designed to produce bibliographies that automatically use the font and size of the text in your word processing documents. Normally, when you type text into an EndNote reference, it is entered in a default Plain font, size, and style, which means that your references SHOULD follow the font settings in your paper.

If any fonts, sizes, or styles other than the default are entered into your library, they will appear in your bibliography regardless of the font of your paper. For example, you can italicize species names, add a superscripted number, or enter Greek characters such as b.To apply these kinds of font or text styles, select the text to be changed and then choose the desired font, size, or style from the Edit menu or the toolbar. 

If fonts have been inappropriately applied to specific text, you must select it and remove it.  For example, if a word or words in the record are formatted with a specific font or font size that information will override any word driven (paragraph or template) font information. This can also occur if you have copied and pasted from other applications into the record (although it doesn’t keep copied text formating in recent versions of EndNote). You would want to remove the font settings from the text in the library by highlighting the text and using Ctrl+L (which removes the font style, but not special attributes including italics or bolding). The Plain Text, Plain Font, and Plain Size commands on the Edit menu or on the Text Style toolbar remove overriding fonts, text sizes, or text styles from the selected text in a reference or a Style window.

When EndNote creates a bibliography, text in Plain Font and Plain Size uses the font and size of your paper, UNLESS these are over-ridden by settings elsewhere, such as in the style it self, or in the Format Bibliography Layout sections.

Cut, Copy, Paste Text in the Records

The Cut, Copy, and Paste commands in the Edit menu can be used to move text from one field in a reference to another field by selecting and copying or cutting the text and then pasting it in the desired location. You can also Copy and Paste text from a field in an EndNote reference to your word processor. Similarly, you can Copy text from a word processing document and Paste it into a reference. If it is important to paste the text along with the fonts and text styles, use the Paste with Text Styles command in the Edit menu. The regular Paste command SHOULD not include font, size (but there is a bug in X2 and X2.0.1, and it does - but the correct behaviour was restored in X3), or text style information when pasting into EndNote from another program. Avoid pasting unwanted fonts and text styles into EndNote references because those fonts and text styles will carry through into future bibliographies.

Fonts and Text Styles (in Style) (see Edit-output-style attachment)

Each Output style can be edited, via the Edit> Output style> edit “currently selected style name”.

By default, text entered into a Style window appears in EndNote’s Plain Font, Plain Size, and Plain Style settings, which allow the bibliography that EndNote creates to adopt the font settings in your paper.

Use the Edit menu or the Style toolbar to apply any font, size, or text style to your Style templates.

All text attributes entered into a style template carry over into the bibliography that EndNote creates. You can use this feature, for example, to italicize titles or make the volume numbers bold. Any font or text style changes entered in an EndNote Reference window (the record itself, discussed above) carry through the bibliography as well. For example, any italicized terms in your references will still appear italicized in your bibliography, regardless of the text attributes that the EndNote bibliographic style applies.

Hanging Indent specification (in Style) (See Hanging-indent-style attachment)

In addition, you can force a specific Hanging indent (or sometimes called an “outdent” on the bibliography references. Setting “All paragraphs” here can override any settings set in the Bibliography Layout Dialog discussed below in some versions of Endnote, so check both settings if you are not seeing what you want.  

In more recent versions of Endnote, the hanging indent settings are set from the dropdown of the Bibliography, layout settings, in the lower right hand corner. 

Altering Font style and size: Bibliography Layout Dialog (“Format Bibliography” tool)

On the Bibliography Layout (second) tab of the “Format Bibliography” window.

Font and Size:   These are the text font and size used for the bibliography.  These will override the document settings, but will not override the specific settings of the record or the style. 

First line indent and Hanging indentUse these settings to set a paragraph indent, a hanging indent, or no indent at all. The hanging indent applies to the second and subsequent lines of a reference in the bibliography. Type measurements as centimeters (cm), inches (in), lines (li), or points (pt).
This will override the document settings, but may not override the specific settings of the style. So also check the settings in the Bibliography Layout section of the specific style you are using (see above for edit style settings). 

Line spacing and Space after:  Set the Line spacing for within a reference and the Space after for spacing between references. This will override the document settings, but will not override the specific settings of the style.

Other settings

Bibliography title
:  To print a title at the top of your bibliography, type the title in this text box.

Text Format :   Highlight the bibliography title text and then use the Text Format button to display a dialog where you can change the format of the highlighted text.

Start with bibliography number :  Enter a starting reference number if you want to number your bibliography. (This is useful, if you are combining chapters, and are in the final formatting and know exactly where the last chapter left off.)

The Page Layout Tab from Subject Bibliography (mostly direct from EndnoteX2 F1 help).

When you select Subject Bibliography from the Tools menu to format a subject bibliography or subject list, a Layout button is available to display a Configure Subject Bibliography dialog and change settings. This topic describes the Page Layout tab available on that dialog.

Select the Default Font and Size: Use the drop-down lists to select a default font and size for your subject headings or subject terms. Font and size for bibliographic references are set in the output style.

Set Margins: Enter your page margins in inches.

Position Page Numbers: Use the check boxes to determine whether your pages are numbered and whether to suppress the first page number. Use the drop-down lists to determine location and alignment of page numbers.

Choose Page Setup from the Endnote File menu> Print Options to specify other printing options including the paper size and page orientation. Printing setup options vary depending on the printer used.

Endnote Display Fonts (endnote menus and library and record display windows)

The default font used to display EndNote’s “Plain Text” is the default font of your operating system, but it can be changed using the General font option in the Display Fonts section of the EndNote preferences. (Choose Preferences from the Edit menu and click the Display Fonts option.) The General font setting changes the font in which the references are displayed but does not affect the font of a bibliography created for a word processing document. 

edit-output-style.gif

3 Likes

Hi,

Is there any way to change the color of citation automatically? 

Another question if we can set a “STYLE IN WORD 2007” (not the citation style) for citation that we are using in our text? (like this is the test. 1 

Best regards,

Amirkambiz

Nope. You can only highlight it as a field - but that doesn’t get translated in anyway to a print version. 

Thank you for quick response.

I think, there is confusion regarding the STYLES. The styles that I meant is the Microsoft Word style, and not the citation style.

Please see the attached file. If you go over the 2nd citation, you will see that"ENDNOTE CITATION" style used instead of NORMAL Style. Would it be possible to include this feature in EndNote? (I even consider it as Christmas wish :smiley:)

As I am working on long document, it is easy to know, what I have cited and what I have not. 

Cheers,

================================

Windows EndNote X3, with Microsoft Word 2007 and looking for use X3 with Microsoft 2010

Hello, 

I’m working with Endnote X4, using Word for Mac. I have been trying to change the font/typeface of the title’s entries (for books, magazine articles, etc) in both the footnotes and the bibliography: I need them to be in italics. However, the “italics option”, when I open the corresponding templates, is not even highlighted. The only option is giving me is “underline”, which I cannot use. Any suggestions?

Yes indeed, this shows me, italics disappears completely and I do not know why.

In X7, endnote generates a “Endnote Bibliography” style in the word template of the specific document.  This makes it relatively easy to edit a paragraph in the bibliography reference list to look the way you want it to look, and then to update the “endnote bibliography” style in word to match that paragraph (edit the paragraph settings, then right click, syles, update style to match").  See this thread for further information. 

However – it appears in ver X7.2 that these settings won’t “stick” and the style is returned to the default everytime you add a new citation or reformat bibliography,  – darn darn darn.  :cry:

My supervisor wants certaincitations to be italiscised in the text (e.g. newspapers articles) but he wants the same references to appears in regular format in the bibiography.  Is there any way to set this up? I could do it manually but then every time I format the bibliography it will change back.

Thanks

Please don’t post in this thread - START A NEW ONE! –

I crossed 100 posts and I am on Level 3. I am not an expert, just an End User.

can explain how to tips and tricks this

This may be hard to explain

I’m working on writing my dissertation and have been banging my head against the wall, trying to get Endnote X6 to play nicely with my program’s writing template/styles in Word 2016 (yes, I know they’re not designed to be compatible). So, thanks to this post, I finally was able to figure out the last piece of the Endnote puzzle - hoping this might benefit someone else!

Using the “format bibliography” dialog box through Word, I wasn’t able to get the hanging indent to display correctly (wouldn’t change no matter what value I set here). I had looked in the output style settings in Endnote and hadn’t come up with anything, until this post pointed out the tiny box in the lower right-hand corner (found in bibliography → layout) called hanging with a drop-down box to select “all paragraphs.” Choosing this imposes an override that allows your settings made within Word to be recognized, and voila! Updating instantly forced Word to recognize the hanging indent I had previously set. Hope this helps someone!

1 Like

Really understand the situation which you try to explain here.Writing dissertation for your topic is explain your ideas that how you implement your research work  in to realty.

Good! You are the best one. Your place is valuable for me.

Thanks for the tips! I am a new user, and for me it is very informative!

How to change colour ?

How to change color ?

thanks for the info, i dont have any idea about this topic.