Unexpected behavior when citing Supreme Court cases

trying to reference Brown v. Board of Education. The citation should look like:

Brown v. Board of Education, 347 U.S. 483 (1954).

The information I have entered is:

Title: Brown v. Board of Education

Year: 1954

Reporter: U.S.

Reporter Volume: 347

First Page: 483

The citation I wind up with is: Brown v. Board of Education, 347 483 (1954).

I could successfully get my desired output by entered the reporter volume as 347 U.S. but that seems cludgy.

Thanks in advance,

P

Which Endnote output style file are you using – can you attach a copy to permit testing? To achieve the output you describe the template would be formatted something like:

Title|, Reporter Volume |Reporter |First Page |(Page)|

Thank you for the reply.

Output style is APA 6th. I’m not sure what you’re asking me to attach for testing or how to view the template.

Thanks,

P

Thanks for the info – needed to know which Endnote output style file you’re using in order to edit the “Case” bibliography template. In order to use the bibliography template the Endnote record’s fields should be filled as illustrated in the attached image. These fields in conjunction with the modified bibliography template generates both the in-text citation and bibliography entry as shown in the image.

The modified output style file is attached. To install the file:

1. Download the file on to your desktop.
  2. Double-click the style file. It should open in EndNote.
  3. In EndNote, go to “File Menu” and choose “Save As”. You can save the file as is or read a bit as you wish then click “Save”.
  4. Click on “File Menu” and choose “Close Style”.
  5. Adjust MS Word to use the new output style file.
    APA 6th_perry.ens (66.9 KB)

1 Like

The same issue (reporter abbreviation not displaying in APA 6) is occuring for me when using Endnote Web with the Word plug-in. Is it possible to update the style file the web is using? Or the plug-in, whichever would have the problem.

In addition to the missing reporter abbreviation in the reference, the in-line citation is putting the case name in quotes incorrectly i.e. (“Brown v. Board of Education,” 1954)
Thank you
Aman