Author's bibliography

Hello,

I would like to create an author’s bibliography -with over 2,000 entries, each of them with several fields- and I was wondering if RefMan is suitable for this as it is quite different from from the Works Cited or Bibliography section of an article, a M.A. or a PhD.

What follows is an example of how I would like to display the data; the information in [] shouldn’t appear, but I need it to show it here to make as clear as possible what I need in each field.

[Title of magazine] Sepia [issue and/or volume of the perodical] #22, [date] September 1983. [editor] Colin David Webb, [press] Kawabata Press, [place] Cornwall, UK.
[contents] “eulogy to a hell of a dame”; “now”; “Big John of Echo Park and nearby parts…”; “nice try”; “repeat”; “the puzzle”
[notes/comments] “I got to know about Bukowski’s work through a friend who was into the beats […] I wrote to him to ask if he would like to send me a couple of poems to use in Sepia. I explained the small circulation of the magazine (usually 100-200 per issue) and that I couldn’t pay etc and he replied with a bundle of poems […] This was the only occasion I asked anyone for some poems. […] Sepia was started in July 1977. Punk was breaking out in the UK and people were putting out their own tapes/records ets so I jumped on the band-wagon with poetry and stories and put out Sepia. At that time there was a very healthy small press market in the UK –dozens of small magazines like Sepia," Colin Webb, May 8th 2007.

Another example, a book, would be as follows:
[Book] At Terror Street and Agony Way. [Press] Black Sparrow Press, [place] Santa Rosa, CA, [year] 1968.
[Contents] As I Lay Dying-Beerbottle-K.O.-Sunday Before Noon-7th. Race When the Angels Swung Low and Burned-On Going Out to Get the Mail-I Wanted to Overthrow the Government but All I Brought Down Was Somebody’s Wife-The Girls-35 Seconds-A Note on Rejection Slips-The Mexican Girls-True Story-X-Pug-Class-Living-The Intellectual-Red and Gold Paint-Shot of Red Eye-I Don’t Need a Bedsheet with Slits for Eyes to Kill You In-I Met a Genius-Poverty-Poem to a Most Affectionate Lady-To Kiss the Worms Goodnight–John Dillinger and Le Chasseur Maudit-The Flower Lover-Traffic Ticket-A Little Sleep and Peace of Silence-He Even Looked like a Nice Guy-Children in the Sky-The Weather Is Hot on the Back of My Watch-Note to a Lady Who Expected Rupert Brooke-Reunion-Now-The Difference between a Bad Poet and a Good One is Luck-Eat-The Man with the Hot Nose-Notations from a Muddled Indolence-For the Mercy-Mongers

I’ll probably need a couple of more fields to display info. from my own research, but this is basically how I would like to display the information. Before each entry, there should be a number, as in “1. Sepia

I don’t think this is really complicated and I bet RefMan or Endnote could do this. Problem is, I need several Indexes, such as “Magazines”, “Poems”, “Stories”, “Unpublished poems”, etc. This means that I have probably to mark each item listed in each entry so I can then create the Indexes I need by running the appropriate query. There might be a script to do this or to import available information online (from libraries and such as they usually list the contents -poems/stories- of a given book), but I really have no idea.

Any help at all will be appreciated.

Just in case my first post was kinda confusing, here’s a clearer explanation of what I would need -hopefully!

All the 5,000 plus entries are by the same author, so I obviously don’t need an “author” field. What I guess I need is a set of styles which allow me to input the data depending on the source. For instance, there might be magazines, broadsides, books, ephemera (postcards, posters, etc). In some cases, some poems were reprinted in different magazines and anthologies. For instance [I made up the entry numbers]:

[Entry 333 - a magazine]: South and West 22.1, Sept. 1965. Susan Abbott, ed. South and West: Fort Worth, TX.
[contents]: “too dark”, “no future”, “bright sunny day”, “sun coming down”

[Entry 444 - a book with dozens of poems] Down by the River. Pink Vulture Press: Chico, CA, 1999.
[contents]: “homegrown’s good”, “ain’t fixin’ it”, “bright sunny day”, “digital clock”, etc.

[Entry 555 - single poem printed as a broadside] “Bright Sunny Day”. Capra Press: San Diego, CA, 2001.
[contents]: “Bright Sunny Day”.

[Entry 666 - An anthology] Poems for the Future. David Mills, ed. New York, NY, 2004.
[contents]: “me against the world”, “bright sunny day” and “sun coming down”.

Then, in the alphabetical “Index of Poems”, I would need this:
“Bright Sunny Day”: 333, 444, 555, 666 [the numbers refer to the entries in the main body of text]
[…]
“Sun Coming Down”: 333, 666.

Is this feasible in EndNote or RefMan? How do you create such an Index?

thanks!

Hello, would a Subject Bibliography do this for you?  Hope this helps -

What is a Subject Bibliography and how do I create one?

A general bibliography is a continuous listing of citations in a particular order. A subject bibliography is made up of smaller listings, each appearing under a distinct heading. Despite the name, a subject bibliography (or a subject list) can be based on any Reference Manager field or combination of fields. Typical subject bibliography headings are by Keyword, Author, or Journal Name.

You can print entire bibliographic citations, information from one or more fields, reference IDs, or nothing at all under each heading.

Method:

Choose the references you want in your Subject Bibliography by either marking them or highlighting them.  Go to Tools> Subject bibliography> under the General tab choose your Output Style as usual> Click on the Subject tab>

Use the Subject tab to set options specifically for subject headings. For a subject bibliography, it is important to select the Subject Terms and Reference List item.

Click OK to save changes to all of the Subject Bibliography Setup tabs and display a list of the Reference Manager fields by default field name.

Highlight the field(s) whose contents you wish to use as subject headings.

You can include any number of fields. If you build the list of headings from more than one field, the subject headings generated from these fields are combined into a single list

Select the check boxes as needed to determine whether an entire field is used as a heading, or whether a field should be split into multiple headings.

Click OK to display the terms found in the fields you selected

Select those terms you wish to include as subject headings. Click OK to format the subject bibliography on the screen.

If you want to modify the term selections you just set, to either add or remove terms from the selected field(s), click the Terms button.

If you want to modify options that affect the subject headings, click the Layout button.

For full instructions please use the Help function in Reference Manager