Desktop and Online compatability issues???

I am working on my PhD using ENDNOTE ONLINE. I have synced my libraries, and removed any duplication of references. However when I am citing using online version it often comes up with two of the same reference and if I use one of them it is cited as …reference (a) or (b). This does not happen if I use the desktop version. Can anybody help me with this issue as its causing my reference list to be massive because there are two of the same references each time.

Thank you

Hello Luisa Butler,

You should be able to unformat and the reformat the document in order to remove the duplicates from the document.

You’ll want to first make a backup of your document. Then, in the document do the following:

Word 2007/2010/2013: Go to the EndNote tab and choose “Convert Citations and Bibliography> Convert to Unformatted Citations.”

Word 2003/2004/2008/2011: Go to the “Tools” Menu and choose “EndNote > Unformat Citations” command.

This should revert all the citations into the temporary citation format and remove the reference list from the end of the document. At this point, save your document and close completely out of Word (and Outlook, if open). If you now open the document and format by doing the following:

Word 2007/2010/2013: Go to the EndNote tab and choose “Update Citations and Bibliography.”

Word 2003/2004/2008/2011: Go to the “Tools” Menu and choose “EndNote > Format Bibliography.”

EndNote online will pick up the reference information from your online library, and the changes will be picked up.

You can find this in our Knowledge Base:

http://endnote.com/kb/82627