How can we use RefMan10 with WORD 2013 ?

Hi,

Because of a bug in RefMan 12 about the author’s names with 2 words (see previous post), I wish to continue using RefMan10 wit my WORD 2013 because the bug is less severe with this older version of RefMan (it only affects author’s names with 3 words).

The trouble is that while intregration of the RefMan 10 tools in WORD 2010 was without problems (simply copy “RM10Cwyw.dot” and “RM10Cwyw.wll” in "C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP), this does not work anymore with WORD 2013.  If I copy the files as I indicated, WORD simplys crashes when starting.

I tried to copy the two files in “C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\AddIn”, whihc is where WORD 2013 looks for the add-in of RefMan12, but it did not work.  I even tried renaming  “RM10Cwyw.wll” to “RM10Cwyw. d ll” but to no avail.

How can I integrate RefMan10 in WORD 2013 ?

Reference Manager 10 is not compatible with Word 2013. Please see the section on “Reference Manager 11 and earlier” from this article:

http://help.thomson.com/default.asp?portalid=TSC&article=126437

Hi,

Thnak you for your reply.  Because of the bug in RefMan 12 (see my post), I simply CANNOT use this version of Refman with my WORD 2013.  Is there any chance that the bug will be corrected soon ?  If not, the only solution I see is to siwtch to EndNote…  Please, comment.  

Here is a modified copy of the PubMed filter that will correctly import multi-part author names into Reference Manager 12, making it possible for you to use Reference Manager 12 in Word 2013. This filter is using a different tag and will import the author names as full names instead of initials.

Utilize this filter save it into the Import folder under the Reference Manager 12 folder and follow the instructions below. The instructions are from our knowledgebase article 84814.

1. Go to the PubMed website in your web browser. The address is http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed.
  2. Execute your searches to obtain search results (Select “Clipboard” from the “Send to” drop down in the PubMed navigation bar to save records from multiple searches as you work).
  3. On the search results page, use “Send to:” and select the “File” option.

1. Choose “Medline” from the “Format” drop down menu in the PubMed navigation bar. Click the “Create file” button. 

This should bring up a dialog box allowing you to save the text file containing your selected references.

Note: If you use File>Save from your browser, instead of the Send To pull down, the file will not import.

If you have a popup blocker enabled, such as the one that comes by default from Windows XP Service Pack 2, you may need to disable the popup blocker temporarily to allow the PubMed website to send you the file.
5. When the Save dialog box comes up for you to save the file to your computer, click on the “Save” button and save the file somewhere easily accessible such as your desktop (we recommend saving with the file extension *.txt).
6. In Reference Manager, open the database where you would like these references saved.
7. Under the File menu (or References menu for RefMan 9/10) select “Import Text File”.
8. In the Filters field, select the Browse button […] and select the Import filter called “PubMed Special.cap”.
9. In the Text File field, select the Browse button […], and then select your downloaded *.txt file.
10. Click the Import button and your references will be imported.
PubMed Special.cap (1.33 KB)

Dear Henry,

First, let me thank you warmly because you gave me the solution I was looking for and even beyond.  Indeed, your “PubMed Special.cap” import file solved my problem not only fo RefMan12 (for import of  2-parts names from PubMed) but also for RefMan10 (for import of 3-parts names).   Also, this .cap file imports the full first names, whihc is quite nice and useful.

Incidentally, I simply replaced the default PubMed.cap file provided with RefMan10 or RefMan12 by the file you provided (after having renamed it PubMed.cap) and it works fine for importing references directly from PubMed (I renamed the original file “PubMed.cap-original” so that it is still available but used by RefMan.

Thus, comment/suggestion #1; why not making this “PubMed Special.cap” file available (as “PubMed.cap”) to everyone as part of an update to both RefMan 12 and RefMan10 so that the problem I noticed (for 2parts names in RefMan12 and 3-parts-names in RefMan10) wil be solved for all users.  I should not be the only one stumbling on this problem.

Beyond that, I also observed that RefMan12 intergrates quite well with WORD 13.  So, this is great.  However, why did the designers made it so difficult to select a custom-made .os file saved in another place that where the .os provided with RefMan are located.  When we click on “Styles”, it only gives access to the folder where the styles included in RefMan12 are located.  To get access to another directory, we have to click on “Bibliography”… and then navigate where our custom-made style is located.  This is a bit counterinuitive…

Lastly, why did you change the folder where the .cap files are located ?  In RefMan10, it was in <C:\Program files\Reference Manager\import<.  Now, in RefMan12 (under win 7), it is in <Libraries\Public Documents\Reference Manager 12\import.>  I eventually found it but it took me a while.   

But, to make it short, THANK YOU !

Sorry to be ardy in responding to your inquiry.

The reason the folder locations have changed with Reference Manager 12 is because the program was designed to work with the newer versions of Windows (Vista and later).

Starting with Windows Vista, Microsoft made the Program Files or Program Files (X86) folders restriced areas and does not allow the saving of user data into those folders or subfolders. If the styles were located in the Program Files folder, and if you werre to modify a style, Windows would not allow you to save it.

If you were using an older version of Reference Manager it might give the impression of saving into Program Files, but the file is actually saved into a different, hidden location.