Journal abbreviations and articles downloaded from PubMed

Does anyone have any tips on how they keep their journal abbreviations sorted when using RefMan with pubmed?

I found that I couldn’t define styles to use either full length or abbreviated journal names. I managed to solve that by activating ‘term manager’, tidying up all the abbreviations that were in use by downloading the list of medical journals (using the ‘copy preriodicals’ function of term manager). I then replaced all my old ones using the ‘Global edit’ function in term manager. So now my database is perfect, and the term manger contains 2 versions of each journal name (full & Standard abbreviation)

ie. 

American Journal of Hematology
Am.J.Hematol.

Because both are entered in the ‘synonyms’ of ‘Term manager’ it means I can display the bibliography as either full journal names or abbreviated versions.  Which is great.

The problem I have is that whenever I download an article from pubmed (using the send to text file option), The abbreviations pub med uses are different, and not recognised as the same…

ie.

Am J Hematol.

So the new articles i download are not automatically recognised by term manager and can not be displayed as ‘full journal name’ as pub med uses different terms.

I realise I could add in the PubMed definition to one of the user defined fields of term manager, butI’d rather find a way to make reference manager compatible with pubmed. Does anyone know of a ready made database of medical jorunal terms I could upload?

Cheers,

J

1 Like

Hi,

The problem comes from a little file situated in the Reference Manager main folder and called “PERDICT.dat”. This file contains a list of abbriged terms of journal titles supposed not to have a dot. In fact, when you import a reference from PubMed, RefMan scans this file with the words of the journal abbreviation and, if a word is not retrieved in the list, it put a dot at the end of the word. The problem is that this term list is not adapted for the abbriged names of the PubMed Journals and a lot of terms are not present. The worst is that the journal form with dots is not recognized by the term list!

Like you, I wanted RefMan not to put all those “.” et the end of the terms when I import references from PubMed so I’ve tried to replace the PERDICT.dat list with all the terms found on the whole list of PubMed Journals and finally I could solved this problem last year with the follow steps :

1. download the PubMed journal list in txt ( ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/pubmed/J_Medline.txt )

2. edit the list with Word to extract only the journal titles and Medline abbreviations

3. cut the phrases to obtain a list of all the single words contained in those titles

4. edit the list with Excel to remove the duplicate words

5. sort alphabetically and save the final list in txt format

6. rename the file “PERDICT.dat” located at the Reference Manager root folder (for me the path is “C:\Program Files\Reference Manager 12\PERDICT.dat”) in something like “PERDICT.dat.old”

7. place a copy of the list made from PubMed in the Reference Manager main folder ("C:\Program Files\Reference Manager 12) and rename the txt file with “PERDICT.dat”

If you want to skip the steps 1-5, I can send you a copy of this PERDICT.dat list of terms “PubMed compatible” (13’900 words and 121 Kb) that works fine now for me.

Hope that helps

Pablo Iriarte

CHUV Lausanne

2 Likes

Thanks for that Pablo,

I’ll have a go at following your suggestions myself, as I think it owuld help me learn a little more about RefMan. If I can’t amanage it myself I’ll be back to ask you for that list!

Many thanks,

J

mind to send me the PERDICT.dat?

wastrel@gmail.com.

Thanks!

Could you please send me the PERDICT.dat?

mohamedwahba12@gmail.com.

Thanks!

Abd-Elsalam EA-E, Ismaeil NA, Abd-Alsalam HS (2015). Vitamin D receptor gene polymorphisms and breast cancer risk among postmenopausal Egyptian women. Tumor Biology, 36, 6425-31.

Adorini L, Amuchastegui S, Corsiero E, et al (2007). Vitamin D receptor agonists as anti-inflammatory agents. Expert review of clinical immunology, 3, 477-89.

Alipour S, Hadji M, Hosseini L, et al (2014). Levels of serum 25-hydroxy-vitamin d in benign and malignant breast masses. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 129-32.

Asemi Z, Hashemi T, Karamali M, et al (2013). Effects of vitamin D supplementation on glucose metabolism, lipid concentrations, inflammation, and oxidative stress in gestational diabetes: a double-blind randomized controlled clinical trial. The American journal of clinical nutrition, 98, 1425-32.

Asemi Z, Karamali M, Esmaillzadeh A (2014). Effects of calcium–vitamin D co-supplementation on glycaemic control, inflammation and oxidative stress in gestational diabetes: a randomised placebo-controlled trial. Diabetologia, 57, 1798-806.

Barry EL, Rees JR, Peacock JL, et al (2014). Genetic variants in CYP2R1, CYP24A1, and VDR modify the efficacy of vitamin D3 supplementation for increasing serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels in a randomized controlled trial. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, 99, E2133-E7.

Beilfuss J, Berg V, Sneve M, et al (2012). Effects of a 1-year supplementation with cholecalciferol on interleukin-6, tumor necrosis factor-alpha and insulin resistance in overweight and obese subjects. Cytokine, 60, 870-4.

Bidgoli SA, Azarshab H (2014). Role of vitamin D deficiency and lack of sun exposure in the incidence of premenopausal breast cancer: a case control study in Sabzevar, Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 3391-6.

Boulanger CA, Wagner K-U, Smith GH (2005). Parity-induced mouse mammary epithelial cells are pluripotent, self-renewing and sensitive to TGF-β1 expression. Oncogene, 24, 552-60.

Chandler PD, Scott JB, Drake BF, et al (2014). Impact of vitamin D supplementation on inflammatory markers in African Americans: results of a four-arm, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Cancer Prevention Research, 7, 218-25.

Chen J, Katz LH, Muñoz NM, et al (2016). Vitamin D Deficiency Promotes Liver Tumor Growth in Transforming Growth Factor-β/Smad3-Deficient Mice Through Wnt and Toll-like Receptor 7 Pathway Modulation. Scientific Reports, 6.

Chen N, Wan Z, Han S-F, et al (2014). Effect of vitamin D supplementation on the level of circulating high-sensitivity C-reactive protein: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Nutrients, 6, 2206-16.

Crowley SD (2014). The cooperative roles of inflammation and oxidative stress in the pathogenesis of hypertension. Antioxidants & redox signaling, 20, 102-20.

de Medeiros Cavalcante IG, Silva AS, Costa MJC, et al (2015). Effect of vitamin D3 supplementation and influence of BsmI polymorphism of the VDR gene of the inflammatory profile and oxidative stress in elderly women with vitamin D insufficiency: Vitamin D3 megadose reduces inflammatory markers. Experimental gerontology, 66, 10-6.

Ekici F, Ozyurt B, Erdogan H (2009). The combination of vitamin D3 and dehydroascorbic acid administration attenuates brain damage in focal ischemia. Neurological sciences, 30, 207-12.

Fedirko V, Bostick RM, Long Q, et al (2010). Effects of supplemental vitamin D and calcium on oxidative DNA damage marker in normal colorectal mucosa: a randomized clinical trial. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention, 19, 280-91.

Gagnon C, Daly RM, Carpentier A, et al (2014). Effects of combined calcium and vitamin D supplementation on insulin secretion, insulin sensitivity and β-cell function in multi-ethnic vitamin D-deficient adults at risk for type 2 diabetes: a pilot randomized, placebo-controlled trial. PloS one, 9, e109607.

Gargari BP, Tabrizi FPF, Sadien B, et al (2016). Vitamin D status is related to oxidative stress but not high-sensitive C-reactive protein in women with pre-eclampsia. Gynecologic and obstetric investigation, 81, 308-14.

Holick MF (2007). Vitamin D deficiency. New England Journal of Medicine, 357, 266-81.

Holick MF, Binkley NC, Bischoff-Ferrari HA, et al (2011). Evaluation, treatment, and prevention of vitamin D deficiency: an Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, 96, 1911-30.

Hopkins MH, Owen J, Ahearn T, et al (2011). Effects of supplemental vitamin D and calcium on biomarkers of inflammation in colorectal adenoma patients: a randomized, controlled clinical trial. Cancer Prevention Research, 4, 1645-54.

Hutchinson PE, Osborne JE, Lear JT, et al (2000). Vitamin D receptor polymorphisms are associated with altered prognosis in patients with malignant melanoma. Clinical Cancer Research, 6, 498-504.

Irani M, Seifer D, Grazi R, et al (2015). Vitamin D supplementation decreases TGF beta-1 bioavailability correlating with clinical improvement in Vitamin D deficient women with PCOS: a randomized placebo-controlled trial. Fertility and Sterility, 104, e105.

Jamka M, Woźniewicz M, Walkowiak J, et al (2015). The effect of vitamin D supplementation on selected inflammatory biomarkers in obese and overweight subjects: a systematic review with meta-analysis. European journal of nutrition , 1-14.

Jorde R, Sneve M, Torjesen PA, et al (2010). No effect of supplementation with cholecalciferol on cytokines and markers of inflammation in overweight and obese subjects. Cytokine, 50, 175-80.

Levin GP, Robinson-Cohen C, de Boer IH, et al (2012). Genetic variants and associations of 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations with major clinical outcomes. Jama, 308, 1898-905.

Lombard Z, Dalton D-L, Venter PA, et al (2006). Association of HLA-DR,-DQ, and vitamin D receptor alleles and haplotypes with tuberculosis in the Venda of South Africa. Human immunology, 67, 643-54.

Mohr SB, Gorham ED, Kim J, et al (2014). Meta-analysis of vitamin D sufficiency for improving survival of patients with breast cancer. Anticancer research, 34, 1163-6.

Neuhouser ML, Sorensen B, Hollis BW, et al (2008). Vitamin D insufficiency in a multiethnic cohort of breast cancer survivors. The American journal of clinical nutrition, 88, 133-9.

Newcomb PA, Kim H, Trentham-Dietz A, et al (2002). Vitamin D receptor polymorphism and breast cancer risk. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention, 11, 1503-4.

Ngo DT, Sverdlov AL, McNeil JJ, et al (2010). Does vitamin D modulate asymmetric dimethylarginine and C-reactive protein concentrations? The American journal of medicine, 123, 335-41.

Nimitphong H, Saetung S, Chanprasertyotin S, et al (2013). Changes in circulating 25-hydroxyvitamin D according to vitamin D binding protein genotypes after vitamin D 3 or D 2 supplementation. Nutrition journal, 12, 1.

Omar ME A-S, Eman R Y, Hafez F H (2011). The antioxidant status of the plasma in patients with breast cancer undergoing chemotherapy. Open Journal of Molecular and Integrative Physiology, 2011.

Parvani JG, Taylor MA, Schiemann WP (2011). Noncanonical TGF-β signaling during mammary tumorigenesis. Journal of mammary gland biology and neoplasia, 16, 127-46.

Punzi T, Fabris A, Morucci G, et al (2012). C-reactive protein levels and vitamin d receptor polymorphisms as markers in predicting cachectic syndrome in cancer patients. Molecular diagnosis & therapy, 16, 115-24.

Reeves KW, Weissfeld JL, Modugno F, et al (2011). Circulating levels of inflammatory markers and mammographic density among postmenopausal women. Breast cancer research and treatment, 127, 555-63.

Reimers LL, Crew KD, Bradshaw PT, et al (2015). Vitamin D-related gene polymorphisms, plasma 25-hydroxyvitamin D, and breast cancer risk. Cancer causes & control, 26, 187-203.

Shab-Bidar S, Neyestani T, Djazayery A (2015a). The interactive effect of improvement of vitamin D status and VDR FokI variants on oxidative stress in type 2 diabetic subjects: a randomized controlled trial. European journal of clinical nutrition, 69, 216-22.

Shab-Bidar S, Neyestani TR, Djazayery A (2015b). Vitamin D receptor (BsmI) genotypes influence inflammatory and oxidative stress responses to altered vitamin D intake in subjects with Type 2 diabetes: A randomized controlled trial. Journal of Nutritional Sciences and Dietetics, 1, 116-26.

Shab‐Bidar S, Neyestani TR, Djazayery A, et al (2012). Improvement of vitamin D status resulted in amelioration of biomarkers of systemic inflammation in the subjects with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes/metabolism research and reviews, 28, 424-30.

Søborg C, Andersen AB, Range N, et al (2007). Influence of candidate susceptibility genes on tuberculosis in a high endemic region. Molecular immunology, 44, 2213-20.

Szeto FL, Sun J, Kong J, et al (2007). Involvement of the vitamin D receptor in the regulation of NF-κB activity in fibroblasts. The Journal of steroid biochemistry and molecular biology, 103, 563-6.

Tripkovic L, Lambert H, Hart K, et al (2012). Comparison of vitamin D2 and vitamin D3 supplementation in raising serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D status: a systematic review and meta-analysis. The American journal of clinical nutrition, 95, 1357-64.

Yusupov E, Li-Ng M, Pollack S, et al (2010). Vitamin D and serum cytokines in a randomized clinical trial. International journal of endocrinology, 2010.

Zarzynska JM (2014). Two faces of TGF-beta1 in breast cancer. Mediators of inflammation, 2014.