Refman not resolving citations

I & my team are working in Word 2010 with RM12 Networked and inserting unformated citations. When we go to “Update Citations and Bibliography” we are able to find the correct citations in the database but when that has completed and it starts to "Resolving Citations’ it hangs up! How do we fix this!

Please check the version of Reference Manager you are using. In Reference Manager go to Help > About Reference Manager 12. If you have 12 and not 12.0.3 you should try getting the update.

Please see our website for the steps to update the Network version of Reference Manager:

http://www.refman.com/support/rm1203update.asp

If you have the update installed and are still having trouble then:

It is possible that your document has corrupt field codes in it.  We have a FAQ on our web site that gives the steps to remove all of the field codes and clean up the document.  You should first make a backup of your Word document and then follow the steps in the FAQ at:

http://www.refman.com/support/faqs/CWYW/faq6.asp

Let us know if you have any questions or if this does not resolve the issue.

I have all the RefMan 12 updates according to the refman update software, however when I go to generate the bibliography, it doesn’t resolve the citations.  When I finally hit cancel after it tries to resolve the citations for a couple minutes they appear as {Author name, date/ ID} but no bibliography is generated.  How do I then get it to place them as "(1)’ etc?  I went to the RefMan 11 tab to generate bibliography ,which it did;  but it did not recognize duplicate references (ie papers cited twice were listed twice as different numbers in the bibliography).  How do I get RefMan 12 to generate a proper bibliography with each listed only once?  Thanks!

When the software “hangs up” are you actually getting the “Reference Manager Select Matching Reference” dialog? If so, please see this article:

http://help.thomson.com/default.asp?portalid=TSC&article=84552

If you are not getting the “Reference Manager Select Matching Reference” dialog, there may be an issue with the database. Here is what you can try:

1. Open the database.

2. Create a new database by clicking the file menu and selecting New Database.

3. Pick a name and location and then click New.

4. Click the References menu and select Copy Between Databases.

5. For the Source, make sure your original database is listed and set this to “All References in List.”

6. Make sure the new destination database is listed.

7. Click Copy.

8. Click Yes to All.

9. When that is done copying, click on the File menu and select Close Database.

10. Select the original database and click Close Database.

11. Click Activate for the current database.

Once this is done, open your document and see if you can use the Update command.

Hey i havbe the same problem, whenever i want to update my citations and bibliography it just hangs on the resolving citations. Now i followed the steps in the faq and now nothing is resolving anymore, so all citations are in those {} and the bibliography in the end stays empty. what am i doing wrong, i really need some help because my thesis needs to be done next weekend.

thanks!

So has that problem ever been resolved?? I had the same issue with several documents already. Fortunately not with a PhD, but once with a publication and I had the pleasure to do all citation work manually.

The CWYW works normally with new documents. For some reason when reworking them later, the citations all of a sudden stick in the temporary form {citation xxx /id} and depending on the RefMan setting the program either doesn’t do anything or it starts the conversion procedure an then hangs up. I tried many things:

.Doc oder .Docx

Windows Versions from XP to Windows 10

Word 2003 or 2007 field code options deactivated

Instant formatting on or off

and I work with the latest RefMan built 12.0.3.

etc. etc.

I contacted Thomsons on the issue, but they did not resolve it. 

@psycho1666 wrote:

Hey i havbe the same problem, whenever i want to update my citations and bibliography it just hangs on the resolving citations. Now i followed the steps in the faq and now nothing is resolving anymore, so all citations are in those {} and the bibliography in the end stays empty. what am i doing wrong, i really need some help because my thesis needs to be done next weekend.

I have the same issue as the former writers in this thread. I have tried everything suggested, and since it is my PhD thesis I would really appreciate some help. And hope that I don’t have to re-write the entire thing… A few days before submission. Argh, patience is running a bit low but hoping there will be some support to get from the administrators.