Word 2010 compatibility

I add to this discussion as a user of RefMan for 17 years - please please let us know about availability of the upgrade for Word 2010.  I have a 64 bit system (on which RefMan worked with Word 2007) and I have just upgraded to Office 2010.   In order to get Word to work I have had to uninstall RefMan.  But I cannot continue like this - I use  this citation manager on a daily basis. Help!

This is such a good program - can you put on your site your timetable for patches?  I note with horror that there is no mention of a 64bit version in the potential beta versions! :(

Any more info??

The workaround works for us: Word 2010 is working correctly after unregistering the Cite While You Write plugin (CWYW) on Windows XP running Office 2010 and the RefMan 12 Demo.

Our users haven’t ever used Cite While You Write, so we can easily wait for that.

To summarize, the workaround is to enter the following commands on the Windows command line:

•    C:
  •    cd “\Program Files\Common Files\ResearchSoft\Cwyw\Reference Manager\12”
  •    regsvr32 /u /s “Reference Manager Cwyw.dll”

:smiley:

1 Like

I’m glad to hear that worked for you, Scott!

And we’re working on getting the update out as soon as we possibly can so that your users can try out Cite While You Write if they do wish.

Have a great day.

Gillian Neff
Customer Technical Support Representative
Healthcare & Science

Thomson Reuters

Phone: 800-336-4474

thomsonreuters.com
science.thomsonreuters.com/researchsoftware

Thomson Reuters and its product names and acronyms used herein are trademarks, service marks, and registered trademarks used under license. This email is for the sole use of the intended recipient and contains information that may be privileged and/or confidential.  If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender by return email and delete this email and any attachments.

Hi,

I am yet another user that is desperate for an update that fixes the compatibility issue between Refman 12 and Office 2010 (on a 64-bit Windows 7 system). My organization recently switched to Windows 7 & Office 2010, and I have no other choice than to use this. I use Reference Manager on an almost daily basis, and the lack of CWYW is causing a lot of frustration and lost time. Not only for me, but also for many other colleagues at my university.

Anything you guys can do to solve this would be greatly appreciated. Please don’t make us wait for much longer. I honestly don’t think our request for a quick fix is unreasonable, and a solution is already long overdue…

Thanks,

Roel

Yes, Roel, I agree - if you don’t use CWYW, that’s fine and dandy - however, our users are researchers and that’s what they do all day!! CWTW!!!

I look forward to hearing a date about when a date for a fix will be released (and I hope it’s for RefMan 11 as well as Refman 12…) Win32 platform or whatever…

J

We are a company also using Refman 12 with office 2010.

Recently we experienced that if you install Refman 12 Professional (version 12.00) without updating the program, Word 2010 works with the Cwyw plugin perfectly. No crashes of Word so far (tested on multiple computers). Creating references and updating references of older word documents (word 2003/07) also works.

Can anyone else confirm this?

1 Like

I can corroborate Korinther’s statement that RefMan 12.0 works with Word 2010.  Just installed Word 2010 today and found to my horror that RefMan 12.0.2 causes it to hang.  So I uninstalled RefMan after reading these comments and reinstalled version 12.  Now CWYW works.

However, please, Thomson-Reuters, make an upgrade as soon as possible!  I use RefMan daily too.

I think I may have written too soon last week.  Word2010 does not freeze immediately with the older version of RefMan 12, but updating the citations is risky.  Word2010 just froze on me, and I had to shut it down through the task manager.

I can also confirm that updating citations from documents which have been created with the updated version of refman is a bit risky. It seems that basic refman version is a little bit unstable, because not everyone in our company experienced such problems. We still  use it as a work around and not as a solution for the compatibility with word 2010.

best wishes

korinther

i just updated to 12.0.3 and still ref manager add-in does not show up in word 2010. what is wrong here? expansive software…and it does not work as it should…

Where did you get the 12.0.3 update? Nothing to find on the Refman website…

The Reference Manager 12.0.3 update is available for download from within the RefMan application Help > Updates. This update includes:

• CWYW compatibility with the 32 bit version of Microsoft Word 2010

• Some performance improvements and bug fixes.

We are in the process of updating the Reference Manager website and sending out communication on this now.

Jason Rollins, Thomson Reuters

ah. that is the reason…any chance to get a version compatible with 64bit version of office 2010?

I just had my IT person install Office 2010 (Windows 7) and we also updated RM12 to 12.03 patch.  Word 2010 freezes after about 30sec after launch.  If you turn off RM CWYW, then word is fine.  We tried uninstalling and reinstalling both to no avail.  What’s up??  Very frustrating…

how long can it take until a 64bit version is released? i mean…ref manager is not the cheapest software…office 64bit is out for a while now…is it too difficult to program a compatible version? or is it just that it is not worth it putting money in this update because only a minority is using office 64bit?

OK, I am angry and frustrated. RM12 (it was an update from original RM10, and purchased from the grant money I should better used for antibodies) DOES NOT work with Microsoft Office 2010 (64 bits), and my only question is WHY? do people at Thomson Reuters not know that both 64 and 32 bit versions of Office are used by scientists already for quite a time? I have spend time trying to unfreeze Office, then just uninstalled RM and will most probably look for another reference software! 

I have used Reference Manager since it first became available.  I depend on it for my academic publishing.

I now use Windows 7 64-bit and the 64-bit version of Microsoft Word 2010.  Do you plan an update of Reference Manager that I can use on my system as described?

If so, when will such be available?

I urge you to expedite an upgrade, as I do not want to give up Reference Manager, which has served me well.

I agree, we need a clear timeframe on an update, including support for 64 bit Office 2010. It’s not like your were unaware this was coming. Surely you must have been testing the beta versions of Office 2010 with RefMan.

http://www.driblingsport.com/

Let me see if I got this right. I have win 7 64 bits and office 64 so Reference manager would never work??

I tried the demo version but there is no way it shows up in word. Even if you install the update nothing. 

Hello, calster:

Word 2010 64-bit cannot run plugins from 32-bit programs like Reference Manager. For this reason, Microsoft suggests that most users install Word as the 32-bit installation, even on a 64-bit OS. See http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/microsoft-office-for-home-and-school-faq-FX102926087.aspx#, scroll down to “Should I install the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Office?”

If you wish to run plugins like Mathtype or Reference Manager, you would need to install the 32-bit version of Word 2010. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.