Authors with "two parts" family names: incorrect download from PubMed

Hi,

If I try Importing references from PubMed in which an author has a “two parts” name and only one initial, this author is incorrectly entered in the data base.

This, trying to import ref. 4113603 (UID) from Pubmed ( De Broe M , Mussche M, Ringoir, Bosteels V. Oral diazoxide for malignant hypertension. Lancet. 1972 Jun 24;1(7765):1397) will show the first author as " De,Broe M." which is all wrong, as now his family name is “De” and his first name is “Broe M.”…

But, if importing another reference from the same author when PubMed has entered two initials (e.g., De Broe ME. Antibiotics in renal lymph. Arch Int Pharmacodyn Ther. 1973 Jan;201(1):193-4. PubMed PMID: 4717385) will show the correct name after import…

This happens for all “two parts” names with Reference Manger 12 and did not occur with Reference Manager 10.

Names with three parts and only one initial (e.g., Van de Velde H) give even a worse problem.  For instance, importing  " Van de Velde H , Janssens GP, Stuyven E, Cox E, Buyse J, Hesta M. Short-term increase of body weight triggers immunological variables in dogs. Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2012 Jan 15;145(1-2):431-7. Epub 2011 Dec 29. PubMed PMID: 22245229." will show the first author as " Van,de,V"  

Can any one help in finding how to avoid this (apart from changing the names with the Term Manager at every import, which will be a hell of awork when daling with European Authors where “two parts” or “three parts” names are quite common). 

Hello Paul

I apologize that this was not responded to previously but we do have an updated file that should help to import these types of authors.

You will need to put the file you can download from the following website:

ftp://163.231.10.84/ptulkens/

in the following location on your machine. You will want to close Reference Manager before you do this.

C:\Program Files\Reference Manager 12

or

C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Manager 12

You should then be able to do the same search of PubMed for 4113603 (UID) and it should not import the author as De,Broe M but as De Broe M.

Let us know if you have any questions or if this does not resolve the issue.