Can RM footnotes in Word update automatically?

I’m importing Word docs into design software - InDesign CS3 - for publication. The docs have footnotes generated by Reference Manager.

Regular Word footnotes import as auto-updating footnotes, however the Ref Manager footnotes just come in as text. (By auto-update I mean numbering and layout handled by software and changes if eg. a footnote is added).

Is there any advice I can give the author so Ref Manager-generated footnotes behave as regular Word footnotes?

thanks - sorry if this is a dumb question, first time I’ve come across Ref Manager.

Richard

When working with Reference Manager and Word, you would insert the footnote using the command in Word and then insert the citation from the Reference Manager software into that footnote. If the footnote is not retaining typical functionality when importing into InDesign, you could remove the Reference Manager encoding before importing. This should be done as a last step when you are done working with the Reference Manager software:

1. Make a backup of the Word document using the Save As command.

2. With Reference Manager 12 and Word 2007/2010, click the Convert Citations and Bibliography > Convert to Plain text command. With other versions of Reference Manager and Word, click the Remove Field Codes command from the Reference Manager toolbar.

This will make a plain text version of the document that is no longer linked to Reference Manager. If you do not actually have the Reference Manager software, there is a manual way to strip out the encoding:

1. Make a backup of the Word document using the Save As command.

2. Click in the Footnote section and click [Ctrl] + [a] to select all.

3. Click [Ctrl] + [6] (above the T and the Y on your keyboard) to strip out any encoding.

4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 with the body of the text.

Jason Berman
Technical Sup Rep RS

Thomson Reuters

Phone: +1 800-336-4474
thomsonreuters.com

hi Jason

Many thanks for your detailed reply. I’ll discuss with my client and let you know how we get on.

regards

Richard