Conference Proceedings

Hi,

I’m a new RefMan user, I’ve been using it the last month and when making references for Conference Proceedings I’m not getting the results I want. I’m using the Vancouver output style and I’ve been told we have never done any modifications to any output styles (something we are rethinking now!).

My output style (Vancouver) is as follows:

<[04]·Authors>.|·<[03]·Title>.|·<[23]·Series·Title>;|·<[28]·Date·of·Conf>;|·<[32]·Address>.|·<[16]·Pub·Place>|:·<[17]·Publisher>;|·<[05]·Pub·Date>|·<Page·Numbers>|.|¬

Ref·ID:·<[02]·Ref·ID>|¬

Reprint:·<[08]·Reprint>|¬

Keywords:·<[07]·Keywords>|¬

Abstract:·<[25]·Abstract>|¬

Notes:·<[06]·Notes>

I have some questions I hope you can help me with:

1. Even when putting information in all the above fields I never get the Ref. ID, Reprint, Keywords, Abstract and Notes information. Why is that?
  2. The field |·<[05]·Pub·Date>| is missing the punctuation. Is it by default that way or should I assume someone has been messing around with our Vancouver output style?
  3. Shouldn’t the Conference Title and the Proceedings Title information be included in the output?
  4. Is there a way to compare the original output style with the one I’m using? In other words: How can I know if someone has been making changes in our output style?

I hope you can help me with that. As I said I’m a new RefMan user and although I’ve already done all the available training I still need help.

Best regards,

Maria

Hello Maria,

To answer your questions…

1)  The Ref ID, Reprint, Keywords, Abstract, and Notes fields are “optional” fields.  These will need to be turned on in the Layout tab under the Generate Bibliography function of the Reference Manager tools in Word.

2)  The PubDate field’s punctuation may indeed be missing.  Though we try to make sure that our styles are 100% correct, it may be that the punctuation may need to be added manually to the style to make it correct.

3)  It would seem to make sense that Conference and Proceedings Titles should be included instead of the “Series Title”.  Again, this should be relatively simple to correct in the style itself.

4)  Considering that the issues you describe also appear to be the same on my end, it seems less likely that someone’s been monkeying with your style than the style is simply not quite up-to-snuff.

There should be comprehensive information on modifying and creating styles in the “Bibliographic Styles” chapter of the Reference Manager manual (available in the Reference Manager group in your Start Menu).

Thanks,