After modifying a reference in Word, EndNote automatically reverts it to its original version

Hallo everyone,
I’m writting a masterthesis and have a small problem concerning Endnote.

After I adapt an imported reference, endnote automatically reverts it into the original format.

For example:

Furthermore, Shi et al. (2022) studied a thermophilic denitrifying granular sludge system at 50°C fed with acetate as carbon source. They compared the system with a mesophilic system at 30–40 °C and found that there was a significant increase in the thermophilic COD and nitrate removal rate.

Endnote converts this back in :
Furthermore, (Shi et al., 2022) studied a thermophilic denitrifying granular sludge system at 50°C fed with acetate as carbon source. They compared the system with a mesophilic system at 30–40 °C and found that there was a significant increase in the thermophilic COD and nitrate removal rate.

If anybody would know which setting I need to adjust, let me know.
Thanks in advance.

Click on the citation and choose Edit and manage citations. Highlight correct citation and go down to “Formatting” and change from “Default” to “Remove author”. Finish with “OK”. The citation will now only have the year (2022) and you can write "Shi et al. " in front of it. You can not manually change citations in the text because the style and the data in the library will overwright this.

or – edit citation to Author (year) format – as Parbuthus says, it will revert any manual edit if you don’t go thru endnote’s edit citation options to change it.

Thanks a lot @parabuthus and @leanne