Copy EndNote

How do I copy EndNote from my drive to a public drive so other researchers in my laboratory can access it?  I tried  File,  Save a Copy  but it didn’t work. Thanks.

If you mean the Endnote programe itself, I doubt the Endnote licensing agreement allows that. If you mean the library?  That should have worked as long as you have write access, you saved the copy from the Endnote program and not just the .enl file from the computer to the network drive (which doesn’t then have the .DATA folder an contents)  and they have the endnote program to open it.  Also, to open it, it can’t be open on any other machine, unless it is read only. 

The File > Save A Copy method only creates a backup copy which cannot be shared. Instead of creating a file copy, create a compressed library copy which saves both the library .enl file and associated .DATA folder: File > Compressed Library (then select the desired options).  Note, however, that only one user at a time may open and use the library at a time. 

A more collaborative way of sharing references is to upload them to EndNote Web per article #106437 from the Knowledge Base (below):

EndNote Web: How to share references for a collaborative document

The best way to do this is through the use of EndNote Web. Each user will need to have an account. If they have purchased EndNote X2.0.1 or later , they are eligible to get a 2 year subscription to EndNote Web. Please see this article for more information.
        If your institution has a Web of Knowledge account, then you will also get an EndNote Web account when you register from within the authenticated network for Web of Knowledge.

1. Once each user has an account, you can then create a group or groups in your EndNote Web library that will hold the references you want to share.
  2. Once the group or groups are created, you will want to go to the Organize tab and choose Manage My Groups.
  3. In here you will need to check the Share boxes for any group you wish to have others use.
  4. Once you’ve chosen which groups to share, click the Manage Sharing Button.
  5. Now choose the “Start sharing this group” link.
  6. Type out the e-mail address(es) that each user you wish to share the group with, used to register for EndNote Web. Make sure each address is on it’s own line.
  7. Choose Read & Write for each user to allow them to edit the references in the group you are sharing and add new references to the group.

The users should now have the group(s) you shared with them in their shared groups section of the library. Each user will need to do the following in order to use the Cite While You Write tools with the shared group.

1. Log into www.myendnoteweb.com
  2. Go to Organize / Other’s Groups
  3. Check the Show and “Use for Cite While You Write” for access.

Now the users can add, edit and use the references from this mass shared folder in your EndNote Web account in Word. If they delete a reference, it will be removed from the shared group, but still in your EndNote Web library. You have the administration privileges but the users can manage the folder’s contents on their own.

The File > Save A Copy method only creates a backup copy which cannot be shared. Instead of creating a file copy, create a compressed library copy which saves both the library .enl file and associated .DATA folder: File > Compressed Library (then select the desired options).  Note, however, that only one user at a time may open and use the library at a time. 

A more collaborative way of sharing references is to upload them to EndNote Web per article #106437 from the Knowledge Base (below):

EndNote Web: How to share references for a collaborative document

The best way to do this is through the use of EndNote Web. Each user will need to have an account. If they have purchased EndNote X2.0.1 or later , they are eligible to get a 2 year subscription to EndNote Web. 

If your institution has a Web of Knowledge account, then you will also get an EndNote Web account when you register from within the authenticated network for Web of Knowledge.

1. Once each user has an account, you can then create a group or groups in your EndNote Web library that will hold the references you want to share.
  2. Once the group or groups are created, you will want to go to the Organize tab and choose Manage My Groups.
  3. In here you will need to check the Share boxes for any group you wish to have others use.
  4. Once you’ve chosen which groups to share, click the Manage Sharing Button.
  5. Now choose the “Start sharing this group” link.
  6. Type out the e-mail address(es) that each user you wish to share the group with, used to register for EndNote Web. Make sure each address is on it’s own line.
  7. Choose Read & Write for each user to allow them to edit the references in the group you are sharing and add new references to the group.

The users should now have the group(s) you shared with them in their shared groups section of the library. Each user will need to do the following in order to use the Cite While You Write tools with the shared group.

1. Log into www.myendnoteweb.com
  2. Go to Organize / Other’s Groups
  3. Check the Show and “Use for Cite While You Write” for access.

Now the users can add, edit and use the references from this mass shared folder in your EndNote Web account in Word. If they delete a reference, it will be removed from the shared group, but still in your EndNote Web library. You have the administration privileges but the users can manage the folder’s contents on their own.

Thanks for your reply.  I want to copy the EndNote library to a common network drive so other researchers can access it. All the researchers at our lab are licensed to use EndNote and have it on their computers. Other reseachers will probably need to use it in the read only mode. They will not be using the “cite while you write” feature.

I will try  creating a compressed version as suggested by CrazyGecko.