EndNote 7.7 and MacOS Sierra

I purchased my X7 in April - will those of us that close get a discount (I know, crazy question). But now I have an application that I use heavily that is keeping me from updating my computer.

1 Like

I purchased my X7 in April - will those of us that close get a discount (I know, crazy question). But now I have an application that I use heavily that is keeping me from updating my computer, resulting in potential security risks.

Iā€™m having major trouble with the CWYW for Word 2016 since upgrading to Sierra. All of a sudden, the field ā€œShort Titleā€ has disappeared from all footnote citations, and I havenā€™t been able to get them back. Word crashes every time I try to change the Output Style. Long Form Titles still show up, just not the Short Form.

I really hope this issue will be fixed with X8.

HiĀ @the_tie, I would definitely get in touch with our Support team to get their help with this issue. Itā€™s not an issue I am aware of, and they will be able to help you get back up and running.Ā 

HiĀ @tonedabass we will not be releasing an update to X7 to address the Sierra related PDF issues like thumbnail view missing and misaligned text selection for annotating. Since they were identified, the EndNote team has reported them as bugs to Apple.Ā These same issues can be found in other Mac applications with similar PDF capabilities. We will absolutely fix them for X8. But know that, as they are issues originating from Appleā€™s new macOS,Ā it is possible that Apple will release an update to Sierra that will include fixes for these issues, thus improving the PDF experience for X7 users without a release from EndNote.Ā 

Thanks!
Meredith M.Ā 

Thanks, Iā€™m already in contact with your support team. However, the problem could not be solved yet, although several measures have been tried.

I upgraded to Mac OS Sierra and every thing just got broken down. I took my Mac to technology center and they reinstalled the OS. Now after I have installed EN application, its taking hours and hours to retrieve data.
The problem is: I live on campus. I use campus network system because I am not allowed to buy private internet link. Campus network does not allow downgrading to El Capitan and if I do so, my machine will be blocked. I am writing PhD dissertation and every single minute of my life is so so so important to finish my work as soon as possible. Your imprudence is costing me invaluable time that you can never even imagine of it. My all work is lying apart and I can do nothing. Would you please, for God sake, respond???

HiĀ @sameelashari,

It sounds like you are having sync issues with your library. This is unrelated to Sierra and I would recommend to get in touch with our Support team to have them help you troubleshoot so you can get back to work.Ā 

Thanks,

Meredith M.Ā 

Since macOS Sierra 10.12.1 was released yesterday with a bunch of bug fixes, can anyone confirm that any of the EndNote X7 troubles have been fixed as well?

HiĀ @michaelclach,

Thank you for following up. Iā€™ve checked and can confirm that bug fixes for the X7 PDF issues have not been included with macOS 10.12.1, released on October 24, 2016.

So, no change to our recommendation to stay on El Capitan if you are an X7 user who heavily relies on EndNoteā€™s built in PDF annotation toolkit, as upgrading to Sierra results in text selection misalignment and the disappearance of the PDF thumbnail page viewā€¦

More info here: http://community.thomsonreuters.com/t5/EndNote-General/Attention-Mac-users-X7-PDF-viewer-and-Sierra/m-p/131762#M25351

Will update both this and the above linked thread if a subsequent Sierra update does include a fix.Ā 

Thank you,

Meredith M.Ā 

Zotero is doing much better with much less funding. It takes an order of magnitude less disk space and basically has the same functionality. Get it and be done.Ā 

Last time I had a problem with opening up endnote, some tech support dude fumbled through my files via a remote desktop session, following some stupid procedure repeatedly like a robot, only to find out that he could not solve it. He reported to his supervisor and that arrogant ***edit***Ā simply told me that it was my OSā€™ fault, case closed. The ironic thing is that I found out the cause for myself, it was some corrupt MySQL configuration file. I filed a complaint, which didnā€™t take any effect at all because it was eventually reviewed by the ā€œsupervisorā€, who had the guts to ask me whether Iā€™d like to share my solution with his company. Naturally I never replied.

These people clearly donā€™t have much of a clue how this bloat works, all they want is that the customer keep paying them for some trivial updates. Guess what, I say ā€œbyebyeā€.Ā 

Zotero is doing much better with much less funding. It takes an order of magnitude less disk space and basically has the same functionality. Get it and be done.Ā 

Last time I had a problem with opening up endnote, some tech support dude fumbled through my files via a remote desktop session, following some stupid procedure repeatedly like a robot, only to find out that he could not solve it. He reported to his supervisor and that arrogant ***edit***Ā simply told me that it was my OSā€™ fault, case closed. The ironic thing is that I found out the cause for myself, it was some corrupt MySQL configuration file. I filed a complaint, which didnā€™t take any effect at all because it was eventually reviewed by the ā€œsupervisorā€, who had the guts to ask me whether Iā€™d like to share my solution with his company. Naturally I never replied.

These people clearly donā€™t have much of a clue how this bloat works, all they want is that the customer keep paying them for some trivial updates. Guess what, I say ā€œbyebyeā€.Ā 

And what about the recent endnote X7.7.1? Is that compatible with OS Sierra?

And what about the endnote update X7.7.1 just released. Does this finally fix the bug?

What about CWYW? Was that fixed in either the new OS update or the Endnote update?

What about CWYW? Is it fixed by either the latest OS or Endnote updates?

The EndNote X7.7.1 update was to resolve issues users were experiencing with PDF imports:

http://endnote.com/kb/136278

There are no known Sierra specific Cite While You Write (CWYW) issues. If you are having issues getting the tools to work, I would suggest contacting Technical Support: http://endnote.com/support

But why the warning still pops after not to install Sierra after installing the endnote 7.7.1 update?

But why is the warning not to install Sierra still pops up when opening Endnote after the update 7.7.1 is installed?Ā 

The warning not to install Sierra still pops up when opening endnote after the upgrade to version 7.7.1, so itā€™s safe now to install Sierra?

The EndNote X7.7.1 update was to resolve issues users were experiencing with PDF imports, not to make the software officially compatible with Sierra:

http://endnote.com/kb/136278

With EndNote X7, you should continue to keep in mind the information Meredith previously indicated in this post:

http://community.thomsonreuters.com/t5/EndNote-General/Attention-Mac-users-X7-PDF-viewer-and-Sierra/m-p/131762#M25351