EndNote X8 Keeps Crashing on Mac

Here is my error report. I can not open the Endnote, even with updated version X8.2, which said improving the compatibility with High Sierra.  It seems the problem is related to the PDFs. I do not know how to solve it. I tried to put the documents in the totally new folder, but this does not work for me. 

Process: EndNote X8 [7832]
Path: /Applications/EndNote X8/EndNote X8.app/Contents/MacOS/EndNote X8
Identifier: com.ThomsonResearchSoft.EndNote
Version: 18.2.0.13302 (2017.18.2.0.13302)
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: EndNote X8 [7832]
User ID: 501086115

Date/Time: 2018-06-07 09:42:17.339 -0700
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.13.5 (17F77)
Report Version: 12
Anonymous UUID: 88F396C0-80E3-295A-B349-C5F5805FC11D

Sleep/Wake UUID: BD3433B2-9F7E-45D3-9344-E3E6F3F9EE25

Time Awake Since Boot: 18000 seconds
Time Since Wake: 4400 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 2 Dispatch queue: PDFThumbnailRenderingController_SharedThumbnailOperationQueue (QOS: UNSPECIFIED)

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000050000020
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process: exc handler [0]

Here is my error report. I can not open the Endnote even with X8.2, which has feature of improving the compatibility with High Sierra. I tried to move the files to a new fold, but this does not work for me. It seems the error is related to the PDFS. Totally do not know how to solve this problem. 

Process: EndNote X8 [7832]
Path: /Applications/EndNote X8/EndNote X8.app/Contents/MacOS/EndNote X8
Identifier: com.ThomsonResearchSoft.EndNote
Version: 18.2.0.13302 (2017.18.2.0.13302)
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: EndNote X8 [7832]
User ID: 501086115

Date/Time: 2018-06-07 09:42:17.339 -0700
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.13.5 (17F77)
Report Version: 12
Anonymous UUID: 88F396C0-80E3-295A-B349-C5F5805FC11D

Sleep/Wake UUID: BD3433B2-9F7E-45D3-9344-E3E6F3F9EE25

Time Awake Since Boot: 18000 seconds
Time Since Wake: 4400 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 2 Dispatch queue: PDFThumbnailRenderingController_SharedThumbnailOperationQueue (QOS: UNSPECIFIED)

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000050000020
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process: exc handler [0]

1 Like

I’ve had the problem of Endnote X8 crashing under 10.13 for awhile, but it was seemingly “random”. It crashed this morning, and now I cannot open Endnote at all without it crashing immediately (I don’t even see the splash page).

This is more than an inconvenience! My professional life revolves around accessing my Endnote library.

@stburrow

I am also uttelry annoyed at Clarivate for the stance they take on a MAJOR crashing bug that basically renders EndNote X8 useless on a Mac running macOS10.13.

Yes, it’s true that Apple has a PDF Kit software issue. But Clarivate could easily code a workaround. I run constantly into reproducible crashes when simply clicking a record in the database that has an attached PDF. But if this PDF is not previewed or displayed in the main window, there is no reason to necessitate EndNote to access that PDF file at that moment and thus running into the system bug. If Clarivate cannot recode that, than either they are simply unwilling, or Endnote’s code is a big mess anyway.

One cannot even get rid of PDFs because for removing an attachment you would need to be able to select a record first - and you cannot, if that action crashes the app.

It seems that only certain PDFs cause the crashes at 100% “success rate”. Not a single word from Clarivate to maybe tell us what the distinguishing properties of “offending” PDFs are. it does not have to do with contained markings, as some other posts hinted.

I might also switch back to Bookends. How to move my 2500 heavily-PDFed references? I dunno yet.

If X9 does not fix the issue, I will leave Endnote and make sure that I tell all students NOT to get this app ever. If X9 fixes the issue, I do expect a free upgrade as X8 never was a working product. (Did I hear somebody laugh? :-/ )

I exported >6000 EndNote X8 records without any problems.

1 Like

I exported >6000 EndNote entries, with pdf attachments, without any significant problems.  The trick is to break the EndNote export into blocks of 500 entries and conduct the transfer into BookEnds in a piecemeal manner.

1 Like

@stburrow

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I have now tested some XML data transfer from Endnote to Bookends myself and was very pleased. Some minor issues: a smaller pool of recognized publication types, some minor fields getting merged into the Notes fields. But all this can be handled with some smart workflow and data manipulation. PDF handling is so nice and advanced, it puts Endnote to shame.

It is funny. At first glance, one would trust a big company with providing a stable and reliable product for many years to come, and would consider a small developer to be risky. But the opposite is true in this case. Two years ago I still thought that Endnote might have an edge over Bookends, but not anymore. Especially, since Bookends now supports reference substitution with many word processing apps. Maybe Endnote rocks on Windows? I dunno. I doubt it.

This is not the time and place to list all kinds of grievances that have accumulated over the last years. I did my share and spent waaay too many hours reseaching bugs and providing workarounds, pointing (very-level-1) support to problems etc. Syncing issues, obvious code design flaws, weird user interface behavior, etc. This is time lost, unpaid, and not acknowledged. It is meanwhile clear (see version X9) that Clarivate uses Endnote as a cash cow, milking the user base as long as possible since users are afraid to switch once feeling locked in.

The journey ends here for me. The train moves on. Best wishes to all fellow, suffering users.

@jingyi

The two common crashes are these threads:

(1)

Crashed Thread: Dispatch queue: PDFThumbnailRenderingController_SharedThumbnailOperationQueue (QOS: UNSPECIFIED)
Exception Type: EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (SIGILL)

with
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000000

or

Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x…

(2)

Crashed Thread:  Dispatch queue: com.apple.root.user-initiated-qos

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x…

I have so many in my Console log, I could feed the pigs with them.

How about using a third-party clud service like Dropbox or Google Drive?