How to find empty fields

EndNote 21 Help, under Search Command Tips, says:
“EndNote can search for empty fields. Select the desired field from the Field list, select ‘Is’ as the comparison operator, and leave the search term blank. Click Search and EndNote finds references in which the chosen field is blank.”
But when the search term field is blank, the Search button is inactive. The button becomes active only when there’s a character in the search term box. Suggestions, anyone?

You could view all records, view that field, and then sort the records by the entries in that field. Blank records would show up grouped together.

Thank you, saralorica. Yes, that’s what I have been doing to look at the records with an empty field, but what I really want to know is how many of my 12,000 records have that empty field so I can figure out what to do about them. If it’s a smallish number, I’ll just populate the fields. If it’s a large number, I’ll have to engage in some kind of triage.

I sorted them, as suggested, and then selecting them and moving them to a group. There I could triage in the group and edit them or sort on other criteria and edit the field if necessary.

Thank you! That sounds like it will work. I don’t use groups very much, so I didn’t think of that.