recognizing database origin of a reference

Hello,

I am hoping this will be a quick answer- I was wondering if it was possible to recognize the database origin of a reference in the All References tab after searching online using mulitple databases. I am using Endnote X7 for Mac.

I am also seeing that the name of database and database provider does not show up even though I imported the reference using the online search function (specifically PubMed).

Thank you so much for your help!

Best,

Jennifer

Taking a quick look at the Endnote connection file it seems like the appropriate “tags” for the database and database provider fields are not included - which is why the information is not being imported into Endnote. Was looking for the data dictionary on the PubMed website which may identify the appropriate tags to enable correcting the Endnote connection file, but in the meantime, you might: 1) try updating the references via your institutional proxy server (if you’re affiliated with one) to see if the database and database provider fields can be updated; 2) search directly from the PubMed.com site, which seems to import results into Endnote that include the database provider (although it seems the database info is not included); 3) contact tech support to request correcting the Endnote connection file:

Technical support

For help using EndNote

Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 8 p.m. Eastern (GMT -5)
+1-800-336-4474, press 4

Submit a technical support request

International support contacts

Comment: Since you’re searching/retrieving articles from PubMed couldn’t you say the database is “PubMed” and the database provider is the “U.S. National Library of Medicine”? If so, once you’ve downloaded the references into Endnote. You can use Endnote’s “Change/Move/Copy” feature to change the Name of Database and Database Provider fields to “PubMed” and “U.S. National Library of Medicine”.

Go to the Endnote toolbar and select Tools > Change/Move/Copy which causes the dialog box to pop up. Click the Change Fields tab, select “Replace whole field with;”. Then click the pulldown menu to select the field Name of Database and type in PubMed in the box. Then click Ok. [Repeat and adjust accordingly to change the Database Provider field.]

Hello,

I will try these solutions- thank you for answering me!

So I tried a different way of importing- i imported a citation file from Pubmed instead of using the search function direclty in Endnote. This seemed to work fine- the database provider definitely shows up. I was hoping to be able to see the same using the online search function in EndNote but I suppose I would need to change these myself, correct?

Thanks again!

Best,

Jennifer

I think you may be able to edit the Pubmed  connection file to automatically put in thoses fields as text.  You probably need to enter them with `around the text, so the file isn’t looking for a “field” of that name? 

@jreina wrote:

… I was hoping to be able to see the same using the online search function in EndNote but I suppose I would need to change these myself, correct?

Yes,  if you use Endnote’s connection file  to perform the online search of Pubmed , you’ll need to manually  change the  Name ofDatabase  and Database  Provider  fields.  As described in my 2nd posting you can use Endnote’s “Change/Move/Copy” feature* to change/insert  data  into  the Name of Database and Database Provider fields.

*Go to the Endnote toolbar and select Tools > Change/Move/Copy which causes the dialog box to pop up. Click the Change Fields tab, select “Replace whole field with;”. Then click the pulldown menu to select the field Name of Database and type in PubMed in the box. Then click Ok. [Repeat and adjust accordingly to change the Database Provider field.]

Thank you all so much for your help! 

@leanne wrote:

I think you may be able to edit the Pubmed  connection file to automatically put in thoses fields as text.  You probably need to enter them with `around the text, so the file isn’t looking for a “field” of that name? 

Due to the way Pubmed’s setup their coding tags and data fields it would be easier for Endnote users to use the Change/Move/Copy feature to insert the database name and database provider in downloaded records.

Connection files are similar to import filters in that both rely on a set of coding tags to identify fields and their respective data which are transferred into designated Endnote fields. Pubmed needs to provide the coding ID tags and data in order for the database name and name of database provider to enable the transfer. Pubmed designates the OWN tag for the database name “NLM” but there is no tag or data for the database provider name.  These 2 conditions limit modifying the connection file  as Endnote does not permit adding coding tags or text which doesn’t already exist in the Pubmed  database.

In absence of this information users could forgo the connection file by searching/downloading materials directly from Pubmed.com and saving it as an .RIS file, which then could be manually manipulated  into MS Word  to include both coding ID tags and data  (database name and database provider)  then imported into Endnote.   However,.this is a multistep  process which takes longer and is less convenient than using the Endnote connection file and the Change/Copy/Move feature to copy the database name and name of database provider into the downloaded records.