Which Reference Type Should Be Used for Generative AI Sources in EndNote?

When citing sources generated by AI tools, such as ChatGPT or DALL·E, in EndNote, what reference type is most appropriate to use? These sources don’t fit into the traditional categories of books, articles, or websites. Additionally, has EndNote considered adding a new reference type specifically for AI-generated content? How have others in the community been handling this? Any guidance or updates on this would be greatly appreciated.

The Tag should be “Stolen fiction”
In my opinion, AI generated sources are NOT sources that can be quoted.

1 Like

Totally agree with JAmedia. you should investigate and find the original source of the AI generated “suggestions” and document the correct sources.

1 Like

@leanne That will be difficult/impossible to do. The difference between AI now and 20 years ago is largely down to processing power and the size of the datasets. Trying to work out which bits of data were used to form the answer is going to be extremely difficult. If, the app actually knows where the individual bits of data came from, which is unlikely.
You have absolutely no idea where the vast amount of data came from, nor its provenance. Depending on what you are researching, e.g. the Earth, it could have picked up a lot of Flat Earth stuff or that the world is only 6,440 years old or any other conspiracy theories.

In short, an AI generated piece is a randomly generated piece with no citations or provenance.

EDIT I believe several organizations are trying to sue various AI companies for use of the source material without permission.

Also, any use of AI like ChatGPT will mean you have to credit the AI tool as the author, not yourself.

I don’t disagree. I do disagree with the orginal post that one needs a ref type to cite AI as it is an unreliable source. I think you and I are on the same page. As a scientific researcher, I would never use an AI generated answer as fact (and hence need to cite it). I might ask AI to rephrase something, or look at the AI answer and see if I can support it with a reference. AI has a place. Just not as a citable resource.

1 Like

@leanne I 100% agree with all your points. You can’t cite an AI generated document as a reference. As a document in EndNote the Tag should be “Stolen fiction”