congratulations on making a horrible program even more horrible! please suggest replacement

I installed x3 a few months ago and must say that it is much worse that what I had before the update. I think you guys are targeting computer illiterate housewives with your designs of the interface etc. The interface resembles crappy bundled software that I purchased with my scanner. Do you have anybody working from HP there? I think so. Why cant I save a library like in any windows program? Why cannot I delete a reference with backspace as in any windows program? Why deleting a reference from search window also deletes it from my library? Why cannot I undo deletion of the reference with ctrl-Z? Why does it take 5 clicks to completely delete a reference from anywhere in the library? Why do I have to read the manual, when I use 10 programs every day that use universal interface without reading a single page of manual. Why do I have to pay for this crap? Actually I dont have to - Im going to switch as soon as I find a replacement. Any suggestions? 

Although I don’t share the way you express your ideas, I must say that I partly agree on some points, in particular that the interface is not very “standardized”, and hence requires a bit of practice. However, I must also say that EndNote offers unique features, for example the seamless integration with Word, that I could not find in any other reference software. Therefore, I don’t have any valid alternative to suggest you at the moment. For me, the benefits of EndNote are greatly compensating the drawbacks.

Could I also suggest you a specific section in this forum in which you can propose suggestions for future versions of EndNote.

Regards

maTTeo

1 Like

@joe6783 wrote:

I installed x3 a few months ago and must say that it is much worse that what I had before the update. I think you guys are targeting computer illiterate housewives with your designs of the interface etc. The interface resembles crappy bundled software that I purchased with my scanner. Do you have anybody working from HP there? I think so. Why cant I save a library like in any windows program? Why cannot I delete a reference with backspace as in any windows program? Why deleting a reference from search window also deletes it from my library? Why cannot I undo deletion of the reference with ctrl-Z? Why does it take 5 clicks to completely delete a reference from anywhere in the library? Why do I have to read the manual, when I use 10 programs every day that use universal interface without reading a single page of manual. Why do I have to pay for this crap? Actually I dont have to - Im going to switch as soon as I find a replacement. Any suggestions? 

I think you should have tested trial version before you purchased. I’m not couter-aruguing every point you made, but database software in general has some protection against accidental data loss, and therefore it usually has built-in automatic data saving schemes.  That’s the reason why you do not see regular “save” function. Deleting a reference with a simple stroke of backspace is less preferable in that regard. Instead of ctrl+Z, they created trash feature. Ctrl+Z is reserved for the editing window for individual reference. Btw, I’m not a developer or a person from Thomson Reuters, but this is the place users help each other for constructive information. I suggest you to express your frustration and complaints directly to customer support, not the user forum, and request refund.

At first I was just going to ignore this thread, since I am an experienced, long time user, and I obviously have learned to deal with the idiosyncracies of the program, and in many cases, find them better.  Thus, if I ignore the tone of the email (which I find unhelpful) and focus on the specifics. 

You don’t say which version you updated from, and thus which “features” are you less satisfied with - but see my comments below.

@joe6783 wrote:

I installed x3 a few months ago and must say that it is much worse that what I had before the update. I think you guys are targeting computer illiterate housewives with your designs of the interface etc. The interface resembles crappy bundled software that I purchased with my scanner. Do you have anybody working from HP there? I think so.

Why cant I save a library like in any windows program? (you mean you want to be prompted to save a library, rather than have it saved as you go?  – no thank you!)

Why cannot I delete a reference with backspace as in any windows program? I think of a record more like a file than a phrase.  So if I use backspace, for example in a folder, it doesn’t delete the file.  You need to use the delete key, just like in endnote.  

Why deleting a reference from search window also deletes it from my library? Because you viewing a subset of the library in that view, - and again, if you search for a file in windows, and delete it, it deletes it from your computer too. Same behavior.  Again, think of a record as a file.  

Why cannot I undo deletion of the reference with ctrl-Z? That sounds like a good suggestion. At least in recent EN versions, the file is still in trash and recoverable from there.   I would like more flexibility in the managing of the endnote toolbar (there is some flexible in the CWYW shortcuts in Word’s endnote toolbar) and endnote shortcut features.   - but to continue the “file” similarity, ^z doesn’t restore a deleted file in windows. 

Why does it take 5 clicks to completely delete a reference from anywhere in the library? Huh?  delete key takes it trash, trash is emptied  when you close the program… (or not, if you cancel).

Why do I have to read the manual, when I use 10 programs every day that use universal interface without reading a single page of manual.

Why do I have to pay for this crap? Actually I dont have to - Im going to switch as soon as I find a replacement. Any suggestions? 

I say -  find something, then go for it!

add me to the critisism list,

this must be one of the most infuriating programs ever

the interface is annoying and counterintuative in my opinion

i know students that simply wont use it cause its so dam annoying!

my problem is i just want to add some references manually like websites because i can never find the correct info for the database fields,

when i insert them in the reference list between the alphabetically sorted endnote ones it chucks a spack and deletes them when i try any thing else.

someone sort this out !

the edit citation -  author, date and page no box needs to be sorted out too)